Need External Audio Interface (for Mac)
Jan 22, 2005 at 8:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

justanotheruser

100+ Head-Fier
Budget is ~$300 though I'd prefer to spend $200-250 (but I don't want to eliminate any options so don't worry too much about this). I need at least one quality input (to do some amateur recording) and of course an output for headphones. Extra features are great (i.e. digital out for a stereo, more inputs/outputs, etc.) but I'll take quality over features obviously. Thanks!

Jan 23, 2005 at 5:31 AM Post #3 of 10
Just go ahead...tease me. (It costs $400...twice as much as I can spend.)

Jan 23, 2005 at 7:17 AM Post #4 of 10
I'm not sure whether I should order the M-Audio Firewire Audiophile or Terratec Phase 24.

M-Audio is well-known and their interface looks extremely well-designed. Also it's digital component supports surround sound...there's no mention of this in the Phase 24 specs so I don't know if it does also (EDIT - IT DOES). But there's been some talk over whether the converters are really any good - they're definitely not great. And supposedly the headphone out has a hard time powering even the easiest to drive headphones.

The Phase 24 definitely has better specs. While it lacks a second pair of analog inputs, it provides 192kHz analog processing vs. 96 as well as balanced jacks. Also, the signal-to-noise ratios are noticeably improved: 109dB for the inputs and 111dB for the outputs. M-Audio simply states that the Firewire Audiophile has a signal-to-noise ration of 106dB. Obviously it is less flashy and isn't from as popular a brand.

Anyway, given the specs, am I basically guaranteed to get better sound with the Terratec or no? Do these specs even matter much (in which case I'd stick with the tried and true - to some degree - M-Audio)? Thanks.

Jan 23, 2005 at 10:20 AM Post #5 of 10
Whoa, I had never seen the Terratec Phase 24 before. It definitely looks pretty interesting. I haven't researched it much so far, but I think it uses a DAC by Cirrus Logic (not sure about this yet). Anyone have any opinions on the sound signature of CS vs. AKM? Also, the Phase 24 looks so friggin much better than the Audiophile USB and Audiophile Firewire...

Jan 23, 2005 at 6:56 PM Post #6 of 10
Check out the Waveterminal U24 or the Edirol U25 (or other Edirol products).

dshea

Jan 23, 2005 at 8:17 PM Post #7 of 10
What if I were to up the budget...say $400?

I don't want to get something just to have it become completely outdated in two years. That's what happened with my Delta 44, be it I was very happy with it...until it short-circuited (my fault for letting it get too dusty?).

What are the best options in this price range?

--

dallasstar - if you get the Terratec please tell me what you think! What I'm unsure about is the brand (and thus support) and quality of the headphone out as it can also be used as a line (what the heck). But it does seem like a much better deal than the Audiophile!

Jan 23, 2005 at 8:44 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by justanotheruser
What if I were to up the budget...say $400?

I don't want to get something just to have it become completely outdated in two years. That's what happened with my Delta 44, be it I was very happy with it...until it short-circuited (my fault for letting it get too dusty?).

What are the best options in this price range?

--

dallasstar - if you get the Terratec please tell me what you think! What I'm unsure about is the brand (and thus support) and quality of the headphone out as it can also be used as a line (what the heck). But it does seem like a much better deal than the Audiophile!

While I haven't tested the product yet, I can definitely say that Terratec is a very good brand, and you have nothing to worry about with their products.

Jan 23, 2005 at 9:49 PM Post #9 of 10
Thanks, that's very helpful.

I expected to spend $500 for headphones but the headphones I finally decided on (MS-2s) cost just $300, giving me an extra $200 wiggle room for this. I'm going to investigate some of the higher priced cards to see if there's something worth spending the extra $$ on, but if I don't find anything too interesting I'm going to get the Terratec.

I have to agree with you now...the low-profile look of the Terratec is much better than than the toy-like M-Audio stuff.

Jan 24, 2005 at 3:31 AM Post #10 of 10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back