Need Earplugs, but ER20 not enough
Dec 19, 2011 at 6:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

blackbird

100+ Head-Fier
Hi All.

I take the subway everyday 40mins each way, and through many ethnic neighborhoods, so there are always people speaking loudly in foreign languages. I am very annoyed especially when someone has their music VERY loud (if you've been on a train, you know what I'm talking about), or when they are talking VERY loudly on the phone next to my ear.

Needless to say, it is VERY annoying. Sorry for the emphasis on "very".

Earlier this year, I bought a pair of ER20s. They did help a little, but the conversations in foreign languages were still audible, and the music was still audible. I don't want to hear any of it.

So perhaps it is good that I lost my ER20's last weekend. I had the "large" size, and it seems that they were too large, as I often had difficulty putting them in. Also, they were tearing apart.

For someone who has to take the train through such rough environments, what kind of hearing protection can I get? It seems that 20db is not enough. Will I have to go to custom earplugs, or maybe compliment earplugs with one of those mufflers (I bet that would be odd though).

Thanks for any help received!

Dec 19, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #2 of 9
Public transit is loud. That's a fact of life. I'm sorry but that's really weird.. wearing earplugs on the subway.

Anyway, the ER20s are designed more for "hi-fi" reduction in sound. They are more for going to concerts and such. If you want greater reduction, just get normal earplugs that you can buy basically anywhere. The standard silicone plugs reduce upwards of 30dB. Same with the HEAROS foam plugs.

Another option would be to wear IEMs and listen to your music.

Dec 19, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #3 of 9
I don't think its weird. "Weirdness" is in the mind, and is usually imposed by the opinions of others. I don't care too much about what other people think.

The fact is, public transit is very loud, and very annoying, and hearing people speaking loudly in a language I don't understand makes it even worse. 

I looked up the er20's again, and it seems like it only decreases the volume by 12db or so.

Dec 19, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #5 of 9
The ER20s are specifically designed to reduce sound levels while allowing one to still understand words spoken by others.  I would agree with Feedback about the use of IEMs to cover the noise.

Dec 20, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #6 of 9
ER20's aren't supposed to block noise, they only reduce noise (as mentioned above). I have custom plugs and I use themwhen I'm making music and stuff as it brings the sound down to acceptable levels while retaining the clarity.

My best bet would just be to listen to some music. IEM's that isolate well+some good noise and you'll forget about your surroundings.

Dec 26, 2011 at 5:11 PM Post #7 of 9
hmm, what if I don't want to listen to music on the train?
That would involve purchasing IEMs, and getting additional expenses that I don't want. I usually only listen to music at home.

Anyone else have another suggestion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back