need earphones with decent isolation...might be used for running
Jan 27, 2014 at 12:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

zboy

New Head-Fier
i've been using my m50s for the past 3 years and i'm very satisfied with their sound/isolation, but i can only use them at home (due to the combination of bad headphone hair and the inconvenience of carrying around the added bulk).  for outside use i would always wear my porta pros, but they broke last summer.  i've been able to get by without headphones since then, but i finally need new ones.  any suggestions thrown my way would be greatly appreciated

i want something with good isolation, sound, and comfort.  isolation is my priority but i just need something that will block out a loud conversation/laughter.  in terms of sound...i've tried the RE (zero or 0, not sure which) for a day and it was too neutral for me.  the only two headphones i have any long term experience with are my porta pros and m50s, and as i've said earlier i am very satisfied with them.  another thing worth mentioning is that i don't want to keep adjusting these while they're in my ear...i've never had earphones that held in place (though i've never had higher end earphones)

also, i'd like to use these earphones for running, but i could always send in my porta pros for $9 and use them once they come back from warranty

my budget for the new phones is around $100, more or less.  right now i have my eyes on the jaybird bluebuds x for $120, and monster turbines for $60.  the bluebuds look very attractive, but there is a lack of solid reviews and i'm not sure if i want to spend that much.  as for the turbines, i'm sure i will enjoy their sound but it's unclear whether or not i will have to keep adjusting them

Jan 27, 2014 at 1:26 AM Post #3 of 6
How about the Shure SE215? The ear hooks might help keep them in place, and if you get the right sized tips, they fit very well.

thanks, will check those out

i guess it's also worth mentioning that i bought the meelectronics m6 last summer.  they take constant re adjusting and i really can't tell if the ear hook is a help or a hindrance with them

Jan 27, 2014 at 2:24 AM Post #4 of 6
I run and the only iem that stays snug is the Monster Isport. I have the Livestrong version and the c clip really holds it in place. The isolation is good, but if you swap the ear tips with some Sony hybrids (like those in the MDR EX 10), the isolation is incredible. I swapped them back out because it's almost too much isolation and I wanted some awareness. The sound is decent. Bassy but I can equalize for that. I just ordered a pair of ATH CKX9 from Rakuten for a change of pace. Even the iems with over the ear hangers, the nozzles would eventually come loose after awhile. You could also look at the Etymotics. Those would really stay in your ears and give great isolation. But again the sound is neutral.

Jan 27, 2014 at 2:36 AM Post #5 of 6
The SE215 ear hooks are similar to the Mee M6, with two exceptions: 1) The cables can rotate where the cable plugs into the IEM shell; and 2) The Shure cables are much higher quality. However, with that said, I agree with you - I really don't like the memory wire either, but I figured my issue was at least partly because I wear glasses. As usual, YMMV...

Jan 27, 2014 at 6:48 AM Post #6 of 6
combined the suggestions of both of you (sort of) and bought myself a pair of ath-im70s lol.  crossing my fingers - hope they fit well.  if not, i'll sell them and try out the bluebuds

Users who are viewing this thread

Back