Need durable/cheap but high quality earbuds. Suggestions
Dec 19, 2008 at 12:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

jsedgwick

100+ Head-Fier
Head-fi,

I need a pair of portable earphones to wear working out. These need to be DURABLE. Also, I sweat quite a lot - if any earphones would be less susceptible to damage from moisture that would be great. I just don't want to sacrifice quality by simply using crappy iPod buds.

Form factor: whatever stays snug in the correct position easily, even with movement. I think this would be buds, as IEMs need to be very snug and would likely become dislodged. I had this problem with my Atrio M5s before they broke down to wear and tear (the reason for this thread).

I listen to mostly rock and after that electronica. Some jazz, classical, rap/hiphop.

Price should be under $100 because of the possibility of them breaking eventually. I'd push it up a little if they were really durable.

Any suggestions? I'm hoping to ask for these as a gift so speedy responses would help a lot.

thanks and happy holidays

Dec 19, 2008 at 1:14 AM Post #2 of 14
I have heard that Sennheiser PMX70 are good for runners. SQ isn't that great nor is isolation (ear bud design after all), but they seem to fit in around the ear rather snugly.

Dec 19, 2008 at 2:09 AM Post #4 of 14
I use these when I work out.

Amazon.com: Sony MDR-J10 h.ear Headphones with Non-Slip Design (Black): Electronics

They work really well and I have gotten sweat into the little holes before and they still seem to work very well. SQ is surprisingly good, but then again I don't have any other cheap pair of earphones that I can compare them with.

But anyways, these are incredibly cheap and you might want to try them out anyways, even if you decide to get another pair, just incase you aren't satisfied with the others. Who knows, these $10 pair of earphones might suit you better than the even more expensive ones out there.

Dec 19, 2008 at 3:42 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taikero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Koss KSC75

Pretty cheap on Amazon. Great sound quality.

Actually, I've found that contrary to popular belief the KSC-75 are horrible for working out. Here's why:

1. They flop around when you're running (think big flaps hanging off the tops of your earlobes)
2. They are open, so if you listen to loud music, which I tend to do when working out, others around you will hear it too.
3. The cord is a bit too long, so it either flaps around or gets caught on things.

My suggestion for working out are the Senn pmx 60's, because they sound pretty decent, can take a beating, and stay put when I'm running or lifting.

Amazon.com: Sennheiser PMX60 Headphones: Electronics

Dec 19, 2008 at 3:51 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by iareConfusE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use these when I work out.

Amazon.com: Sony MDR-J10 h.ear Headphones with Non-Slip Design (Black): Electronics

They work really well and I have gotten sweat into the little holes before and they still seem to work very well. SQ is surprisingly good, but then again I don't have any other cheap pair of earphones that I can compare them with.

But anyways, these are incredibly cheap and you might want to try them out anyways, even if you decide to get another pair, just incase you aren't satisfied with the others. Who knows, these $10 pair of earphones might suit you better than the even more expensive ones out there.

I have a friend that owns these. I would strongly recommend them. Fantastic for the price. I always thought they would sound horrible, but then I tried them and they weren't bad at all.

Dec 19, 2008 at 3:56 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by i_don't_know /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a friend that owns these. I would strongly recommend them. Fantastic for the price. I always thought they would sound horrible, but then I tried them and they weren't bad at all.

Nope, not bad at all. And to fix the cable problem, just run the cable under your shirt, and put any excess hanging from the bottom in your pocket, then you'll have a minimal length of cable swaying around.

Dec 19, 2008 at 11:47 PM Post #14 of 14
I'd still recommend the clip-on Sony's mentioned earlier. I haven't heard the Senns, but I can honestly say that the Sony's surprised me for how much they cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back