Need durable-cabled headphones (other specifics too)
Mar 29, 2009 at 4:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

muk_mb

New Head-Fier
I keep killing the wires to my headphones right next to the jack going into my iphone in my pocket. Wire shorts, I get irritated, no fun =/ I am looking for some headphones, nothing that goes in your ears, that are made to take more of a beating than these porta-pros I killed. The headphones themselves were cool, I liked the sound quality and such, but the cable couldn't handle me keeping my ipod in my pocket, heh. I would just get these replaced but I voided my warranty trying to re-cable these (hehe failure). Also these new headphones need to cost less than 100$.

Also, would cable with that woven nylon sleeve stuff help with this sort of thing? I imagine the problem is with twisting or pinching near the headphone jack.

Thanks for your time! I appreciate it
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 29, 2009 at 8:16 AM Post #2 of 14
Cable should not be that much of a problem. Almost everything can be recabled.
wink.gif

Cables are usually the first thing to go bad in most headphones/earphones.

Mar 29, 2009 at 3:18 PM Post #4 of 14
Look for something with a removable cable.

Mar 29, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by muk_mb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I keep killing the wires to my headphones right next to the jack going into my iphone in my pocket. Wire shorts, I get irritated, no fun =/ I am looking for some headphones, nothing that goes in your ears, that are made to take more of a beating than these porta-pros I killed. The headphones themselves were cool, I liked the sound quality and such, but the cable couldn't handle me keeping my ipod in my pocket, heh. I would just get these replaced but I voided my warranty trying to re-cable these (hehe failure). Also these new headphones need to cost less than 100$.

Also, would cable with that woven nylon sleeve stuff help with this sort of thing? I imagine the problem is with twisting or pinching near the headphone jack.

Thanks for your time! I appreciate it
smily_headphones1.gif

Have you been using headphones with straight connectors? Have you tried headphones with right-angle connectors?

Quote:

Originally Posted by i_don't_know /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Look for something with a removable cable.

This here is a good idea as well; try to find something with right-angle connectors and replaceable cables. Two 'phones that come to mind for me are Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro and Sennheiser IE8; however, both of those are IEMs, and not buds or cans.

-Ed

Mar 29, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #6 of 14
The right angle connector could be worth a try. Is there a convenient place to find out what headphones do have this? Maybe I should just get used to earbuds/IEMs again.

Edit: I found these with a right-angle plug. Any others?

Apr 15, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Ng /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This here is a good idea as well; try to find something with right-angle connectors and replaceable cables. Two 'phones that come to mind for me are Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro and Sennheiser IE8; however, both of those are IEMs, and not buds or cans.

-Ed

bumping an old thread...

Are these the only two IEMs with replaceable cables? any cheaper alternative?
Thanks.

Both my e2 and zen are cutting in and out due to wires and both are out of warranties.

Apr 15, 2009 at 6:27 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by muk_mb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe I need a pair that's easier to recable then? I tried recabling the porta-pro's and only succeeded in voiding the warranty and killing all sound. =/

I thought Koss had the "No questions asked lifetime warranty"..

Apr 15, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by manixc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is the cable on Etymotic er4p replaceable as well?
I googled on this but the info is a bit confusing.

My understanding was that the er4p does have a "replaceable" cable, however, it's not user-replaceable (which kind of defeats the purpose). I believe you'd need to send it to etymotic, and they would replace the cable for you.

Apr 16, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #14 of 14
i beat up the marshmallows during ski season and so far has been holding up strong even in these cold temps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back