Need direction with Bookshelf speakers...
Mar 15, 2014 at 9:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

hazertag

New Head-Fier
Currently have some KEF Coda 7's on loan from a friend.  This loan is being called and I will need to finally buy my own speakers.  Set up will be Pro-Ject Debut Carbon>Marantz 1060>????? Looking to spend not much more than $350-500. New or Used is still up in the air.

I dont know a ton about speakers, as this is the first time I have bought any myself.  I am hoping you guys could help me understand the characteristics of the KEF Coda 7's, and steer me in the direction of something that will be a moderate upgrade from those.  

Here are the specs of the KEF's:
Type: Two way bass-reflex
Frequency response: 48Hz to 20kHz
Power handling: 70W
Sensitivity: 91dB
Impedance: 6 Ohms

I want something "fun", but not overly colored.  I listen to mostly electronic, so bass is important, but I dont want the speaker to be pigeonholed into a certain genre or sound.  Relative value is also very important. What are some (arguably) good value and bad value brands/models?

Mar 15, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #2 of 4
You might want to consult with the AVS speakers forum. AVS is to home audio as Head-Fi is to headphones.

For electronic music, a sub makes a big difference. Speakers and sub might be a better choice, especially if you could stretch your budget a little.

Nice amp. Has it been reconditioned? If not, might want to work that into your budget.

Mar 15, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for the tip.  Will post over there.

I have a sub (sitting unused) but think it would be overkill for my bedroom set-up.  EQ and Loudness have sufficed so far.  If I move to a bigger area I may hook-up the sub.

The Marantz is great and in top condition, my father had one of these in our home growing up that he had since college.  Wouldnt have copied him if he hadnt made an exceptional choice!

Mar 16, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #4 of 4
That's great you have that vintage hardware in excellent condition. Good stuff :)

What kind of sub do you have? If you have a good enough sub, it's not choice between speakers and sub :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back