need desktop amp/dac for my sennheiser hd-650 (under $250)
Mar 5, 2012 at 7:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

mac336

500+ Head-Fier
searched for days and just when I thought I've found something, I read a thread saying its not good.  Basically I just need an amp and dac (preferably a combo/preferebly desktop) that would sound good to great with the HD-650s.   

Mar 30, 2012 at 2:54 AM Post #6 of 25
I might as well just ask this here:

What is the 'amp of choice' for the HD650s? Is there one majority favorite? Obviously the cheaper the better - but no so cheap that it really sacrifices sound quality.

Mar 30, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #7 of 25
La Figaro 332C, cool looking unit and check how it's made inside!

Mar 31, 2012 at 3:10 AM Post #8 of 25

I wouldn't say theres an "amp of choice."  I would say theres about 5 different amps which are much much more commonly suggested/recommended with the hd-650 because they are known to perform  well together.  Such amps would be the Schiit Asgard, objective 2, NFB-12, fiio E7/E9 which are all great choices as far as bang for buck.  There are about a dozen other amps you could find which would work well also.  The ones I just listed are some of the ones that seem to be the most recommended for the hd-650 as far as budget amps go.  Personally I would go with the NFB-12; however, you will probably find a dozen other people who would "personally" go with something else. 
Quote:
I might as well just ask this here:

What is the 'amp of choice' for the HD650s? Is there one majority favorite? Obviously the cheaper the better - but no so cheap that it really sacrifices sound quality.

Mar 31, 2012 at 6:13 AM Post #9 of 25
La figaro 332C, Meier Audio Jazz, or build CRACK tube amp kit (don't die soldering it!)

Apr 15, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #11 of 25
Schiit Valhalla. Seriously , incredible sound and it really mixes well with the HD650 as it takes away a large portion of the "dark" sound the HD650 is famous for. 

Truly no regrets with buying it.

Apr 15, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #12 of 25
I would recommend passing on the E9, anything by matrix, and anything by schiit.

I would recommend waiting for Nwavguy's ODA and ODAC. If not, at least wait for the ODAC, get it separately, and then pick up an O2, should be able to stay within your budget. Best performance you are going to get for this price, in my honest opinion. Feel free to contact me via PM to discuss why I wouldn't get the above amps. 

Apr 15, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #13 of 25

Quote:
I would recommend passing on the E9, anything by matrix, and anything by schiit.

I would recommend waiting for Nwavguy's ODA and ODAC. If not, at least wait for the ODAC, get it separately, and then pick up an O2, should be able to stay within your budget. Best performance you are going to get for this price, in my honest opinion. Feel free to contact me via PM to discuss why I wouldn't get the above amps. 

Why would you pass on matrix and schiit products?

I have heard nothing but good things about them for the most part

Apr 15, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #15 of 25

Quote:
personal experience on matrix

word of mouth on matrix and schiit.. I'll toss you a PM.

So in other words you have zero personal experience with Schiit product's?. So really you are just giving biased reasoning without the benefit of experience as far as Schiit is concerned. 

This tells me exactly what you are doing :

I would recommend waiting for Nwavguy's ODA and ODAC.

How utterly coincidental.... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back