Need decent in canal phones
Oct 8, 2008 at 4:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

fredpb

1000+ Head-Fier
Needs some good decent sounding ear canal phones. Not bright. High definition. good low end.

Will use with iPod, Archos 605 wifi, and zen vision M. Occasionally with Practical Devices XM4.

I have tried ER6's...not impressed.

I am using a $20 set of JVC from Walmart for travelling...yech.

Would prefer under $200.

Oct 8, 2008 at 6:06 AM Post #2 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by fredpb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Needs some good decent sounding ear canal phones. Not bright. High definition. good low end.

Will use with iPod, Archos 605 wifi, and zen vision M. Occasionally with Practical Devices XM4.

I have tried ER6's...not impressed.

I am using a $20 set of JVC from Walmart for travelling...yech.

Would prefer under $200.

There are several for you to look at:

SoundMAGIC PL-30 the cheapest, best sounding phones around $20 FocalPrice
Sleek Audio SA6 $200 SoundEarphones
Jays q-Jays $180 SoundEarphones
Ultimate Ears Super fi-5 V.2 $150 SoundEarphones
Ultimate Ears Super.fi 3 $80 SoundEarphones
Ultimate Ears Super.fi 4 $120 SoundEarphones
Klipsch Custom-2 $200 SoundEarphones
Klipsch Custom-1 $130 SoundEarphones
V-Moda Vibe $90 SoundEarphones
Sennheiser CX500 black $30 FocalPrice
Sennheiser CX400 white $25 FocalPrice
Sennhieser CX300 silver $18 FocalPrice
JBL Reference 220 $40

Oct 8, 2008 at 7:25 AM Post #3 of 16
lewislink: you recommended the senns from focalprice, has it been established that those are real? I'm still pretty skeptical considering the prices... It'll be great if they are selling originals at those kinds of prices.

Oct 8, 2008 at 11:31 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by gradesm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lewislink: you recommended the senns from focalprice, has it been established that those are real? I'm still pretty skeptical considering the prices... It'll be great if they are selling originals at those kinds of prices.

Yeah, they are real. I received my set of CX400s yesterday and gave a few impressions in another thread. Have a look at it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 11, 2008 at 5:12 AM Post #7 of 16
Well, I tried the new JVCFX300R. WAY TOO BRIGHT. Had great bass, low and tight. Highs seemed ok. But mids were horrendus. My Zen Vison M has a 12db cut at 4khz, and that barely helped. The sound was not distorted, just way to forward. Can't stand brightness.

Are any of the above mentioned phones fairly good with base and highs, and smooth with mids? I would rather have rolled off mids to highs with decent base than a pushy midrange unit.

I will try one more time, with one of the above, but which?

The UE Superfis seem interesting. Are they bright?

I need phones smaller than the HD580s for travel. Over the ear..small, I would also conside

Oct 11, 2008 at 9:38 AM Post #8 of 16
Your preferences sound ideal for Futuresonic Atrio M5's, Klipsch Image X5's, and maybe even the UE SF5's (v2).

Oct 12, 2008 at 6:11 AM Post #10 of 16
I decided to continue searching for canal phones. I sit outside on my small back yard alot...hours a day. I used to use noise cancelling phones that sounded yech. My air conditioner sits less than 20 feet from my two main sitting positions. Noisy. Neighboor units are also close on either side, but we have fence between us, but I still a/c noise.

I started using my good portable system again, with HD580s. But those phones let in the noise. So I am going to get some good canal phones.

It sounds like the Ultimate Ears products are promising. If I have to I will get the Super.fi 5's. But I ordered the Super.fi 3's from Amazon today. Hope they work out, at half the price of the 5's. If not, I will try the 5's.

I appreciate all the help!

Oct 12, 2008 at 11:06 AM Post #11 of 16
Yeah, i've done exactly the same thing as you. I've decided of UEs over Ety simply based upon the fact that I've noticed a few people deciding that Etys are boring for them.

Oct 14, 2008 at 3:38 AM Post #12 of 16
I should be getting UE Super.fi 3's this week. I am really looking forward to them. If they sound decent I may even upgrade to the 5's.

I really use my portable system a LOT.

My Practical Devices XM4 amp is ok. I would like a better amp, like the Hornet, but not at twice the price.

Oct 14, 2008 at 2:22 PM Post #13 of 16
if you're considering the Klipsch Custom series, might not be a bad idea to try them out once before you purchase. I may be alone on this but I've had some fit troubles (though my ear canals are not really the same size).

Oct 19, 2008 at 7:23 AM Post #14 of 16
Got the Ultimate Ears Super.fi 3's. Wonderful!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back