Need DAP recomendation for ER-4P
Jun 24, 2006 at 1:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

happyangryhappy

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking to buy a mp3 player for a portable setup, but need a little more help.

Foremost, I am looking for a player that has great synergy/sound with er-4p's. Other than that, I want to be able to play Flac files and for size/convienience purposes I won't use an amp so the headphone out sound is critical. So what do you use and/or recommend for synergy with your er-4p's? Based upon forum reading I am thinking a nano or x5, but since I have never heard either - let alone a mp3 player - I thought I'd ask.

Also video, storage capacity and cosmetics are not really much consideration, nor is compatability for home listening - this will be used for the gym, library etc.

Thanks
biggrin.gif

Jun 24, 2006 at 4:30 AM Post #3 of 5
Budget would be ~$2-300.

I have read many of the dapreviews as well as posts here which led me to the above mentioned Nano and X5 which are dapreviews 2 highest rated.

It is just that I am new to DAP's and with experience with source, amp and headphone matching/mismatching I'd like to try a well liked combo.

Again new to DAP's, maybe I should ask if players have specific sound signatures like a home source or amp (detailed, warm, energetic etc) which brings out the strengths of the headphones, or in their unamped form are they all rather generic?

Thanks again

Jun 25, 2006 at 5:52 PM Post #4 of 5
Allright, based upon reviews I ordered an iaudio x5l from newegg. However I have one more question-

In the specification section it says the x5l supports flac "compression level 0/1/2". All of my Flac files are EAC default 5, so will I need to re-rip the cd's to Flac 0, 1 or 2 or is this a newegg typo? I looked elsewhere and found nothing about it so I thought I'd ask.

Thanks

Jun 25, 2006 at 6:46 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by happyangryhappy
Allright, based upon reviews I ordered an iaudio x5l from newegg. However I have one more question-

In the specification section it says the x5l supports flac "compression level 0/1/2". All of my Flac files are EAC default 5, so will I need to re-rip the cd's to Flac 0, 1 or 2 or is this a newegg typo? I looked elsewhere and found nothing about it so I thought I'd ask.

Thanks

My X5 works well with FLAC ripped at Compression Level 6-8. I have not tried lower levels though. You should be fine as JetAudio (bundled software) supports Compression levels from 0 to 8.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back