Need DAC recommendations, budget 300-600 Dollars
Nov 1, 2010 at 7:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Disarray

New Head-Fier
This DAC will be paired with my X-can v8 + Denon 5000's

Also I want to connect this via LINE IN/OUT not by USB .    

What would be the best DAC for this setup? 

Nov 2, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #3 of 10

Quote:

Hello Disarray,

Many, many, many to choose from.  When you say you do not want to connect via usb input, you are looking for optical or coax, I'm assuming?  The dac will be connected to your amp by its RCA outs and to your source/transport via optical, coax or usb input.  I'm sorry if I missed something but I don't understand the line in / out you are referring to.

Nov 3, 2010 at 4:40 AM Post #4 of 10
Sorry about that, I forgot to mention that, well I wanted the DAC to plug into my Xonar STX sound card via line in (I'm new if you couldn't tell :p

But is that not doable? 

Nov 3, 2010 at 5:42 AM Post #6 of 10

Quote:

If you want a DAC you'll absolutely need a device which accept data (music) via DIGITAL input, for example : Spif, BNC or RCA Coax, USB, etc...

If you connect the device via line in, it's not an DAC but just a preamp or a headphone amp...

Nov 3, 2010 at 5:43 AM Post #7 of 10
I know it does, but I can run a dac and amp through it anyway can I not? I want to do this mainly for convenience because as of right now I have to switch the cord between my sound card and Amp manually as I go between gaming and everything else. (As of now I have my amp connected via usb) 

And my headphones are about as upgraded as I can make them :p first of all their not D5000's they are D2000's but after the upgrades they are more like LA5000's 

The cable on them is a blue dragon and I plan on doing the MarkL mod to them and bought some custom wooden cups for them.

I should add that right now I think the treble on the X-can v8 + its usb Dac is a bit to harsh for me so a Dac the would improve that would be awesome.

Nov 3, 2010 at 5:46 AM Post #8 of 10

Quote:

If you want a DAC you'll absolutely need a device which accept data (music) via DIGITAL input, for example : Spif, BNC or RCA Coax, USB, etc...

If you connect the device via line in, it's not an DAC but just a preamp or a headphone amp...

Great, I'm new this is what I need to know
smily_headphones1.gif

My Xonar STX has a Spif so no problem, right? I read something though about how in some setups a amp to dac to sound card can lead to a sound delay, would this occur in this instance? As that would be a problem. 

Quote:
http://www.head-fi.org/search.php?search=holy+grail+gaming THE DELAY -If you connect your soundcard digitaly (via optic cable or coaxial) to a receiver and your headphones are plugged into thing, and have enabled any kind of digital processing or effect, you'll get a second or a half delay of sound when playing games. Not much, but if you're serious gamer, a second before you hear someone is usually a matter of life and death.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back