need DAC help
Jul 8, 2008 at 5:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

mybeat

Head-Fier
Hi
I've have a problem with my dac. It's stello da 220 mkII, 6 days old.
At first everything was fine, but today when i got home from work i decided to move it.
It was on standby,i turned the power off button on the back side, unplugged the power cord,moved it like 3 feet, havent dropped it or anything simmilar.

Now when i turn it on, Windows Xp says usb device not recognized.
frown.gif

I've also tried this on a laptop with Vista and Linux and no luck.

Can someone please help me on what could happen with it?? Is usb dead?
Can i still use it with coax or toslink?

Jul 8, 2008 at 6:07 PM Post #2 of 11
Don't think it's the DAC, sounds like Windows drivers...uninstall the device in Device Manager, and then reconnect the DAC.

Jul 8, 2008 at 7:42 PM Post #4 of 11
I couldn't hurt...drivers can get all funky, ports can crap out, etc...

Jul 8, 2008 at 8:37 PM Post #5 of 11
thanx for help.
I've tried different ports and uninstalling drivers, and i didnt use safe disconnect feature.
Could this kill usb in a dac?

Jul 8, 2008 at 10:16 PM Post #7 of 11
I've had usb ports on servers fail when the "unsafe removal" option wasn't taken, and I've had USB ports go bad due to unsafe shutdowns, so yes, it's possible it could kill the USB port, but I've not seen that happen on the device side, only the computer side.

Did you try reattaching the DAC, and "scanning for hardware changes" in Device Manager?

Jul 9, 2008 at 6:19 AM Post #8 of 11
Yaay it's working again.
I've disconnected everything for the night, and when i woke up plugged it back in, and windows found usb audio dac.
Im so happy
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanx.

Jul 9, 2008 at 2:13 PM Post #9 of 11
Make sure you have, for your Vista computer, service pack 1 installed. There was a bug in earlier versions of Vista that disabled the USB and CD-ROM drivers in the OS.

Judging by what happened, you had some sort of:

1) Driver issue with your PCs (unlikely, since many computers had the same problem) or....
2) A loose PCB board on the DAC (more likely)

Jul 9, 2008 at 3:29 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by mybeat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yaay it's working again.
I've disconnected everything for the night, and when i woke up plugged it back in, and windows found usb audio dac.
Im so happy
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanx.

That seems to work often. Have a problem in Windows? shut everything down. Unplug the effected components. Give it a few minutes. Plug everything back in. Turn everything back on. It works again. I don't understand Windows; Windows doesn't understand me.

Tim

Jul 9, 2008 at 4:54 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by tfarney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That seems to work often. Have a problem in Windows? shut everything down. Unplug the effected components. Give it a few minutes. Plug everything back in. Turn everything back on. It works again. I don't understand Windows; Windows doesn't understand me.

Tim

Yeah i've tried all that on my desktop and laptop and on a friends laptop with vista. I dont understand windows either.
I dunno what the problem was. but thanx anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back