Need DAC, have DT880+LD MKIII
Jan 28, 2011 at 2:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Abstract

New Head-Fier
Hi guys

I got into the "head-fi-game" not too long ago, and purchased a pair of DT880 and a Little Dot MKIII amp with some M8161 tubes to go with it. Now I only use it with my computer and have followed the guides here regarding wasapi foobar etc. But one thing has bothered me since i got the cans... That damn static and basically bad sound comming from my onboard soundcard!

So I need a DAC to go with my setup. 

EDIT disregard my first notion to go for a "gaming" setup. I realize I don't really game all that much and want to focus on music.

My first thought was to get the Little Dot DAC_1 since it would "match" my amp, and seem to suit my need. But another option would be to simply get a uDAC-2 which I keep reading pretty ok reviews on, and is also about 1/3 of the Little Dot price. (uDAC-2 is sold in my country so no real shipping cost)

So what would you recomend me to do?

Also a side question, I have a bad habbit of leaving my Little Dot MKIII powered on as soon as I'm seated at the computer, even though I'm not listening to anything. So my question is will this kill the tubes? or is it ok?

/Kim

Jan 28, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #2 of 9
Don't see any reason to go with a sound card and a dac, when you can get a USB dac that will do everything the combination could, for less money. If the X-FI offers a great improvement for gaming, I am unaware of it. The udac-2  you mentioned seems the best option, waiting to pull the trigger on one myself. Another, much cheaper option, would be to just buy a chaintech av-710 soundcard, which I use, and which plays up to 24bit, 192khz. Will be a tremendous improvement over on-board, although it will fall short of the udac-2 (on paper certainly--whether you can hear the difference is up to you). 

Jan 29, 2011 at 6:28 AM Post #4 of 9
Thanks for your replies.

Stephen - Yes X-FI gaming soundcards do have alot to offer in regards to EAX, and other usefull things. = makes it easier to hear where your enemy is :)

LeeC - I looked into the Matrix Mini and it does seem like a solid option, however my LD MKIII doesn't have balanced inputs, and if I have to spend that amount of money I'm still leaning towards the LD DAC_1 

Prices in this case would be 
uDAC-2 - 170$
LD DAC_1 - 310$ - with a possible import tax of  77$ so 387$ worst case.

Jan 29, 2011 at 6:39 AM Post #5 of 9
My suggestion would be to buy an Auzentech sound card. They are essentially pimped XFi cards with different DAC chips, better caps/parts in general and op-amps. The op-amps are even swappable. You get the best of both worlds in one product: a nice DAC and a soundcard that can do all the Creative EAX effects for gaming.

Jan 29, 2011 at 11:13 AM Post #6 of 9
After having spend soo much time reading forums, reviews etc. I think I'm about to go nuts!

When it all comes down to it, I want the best sound for music and not gaming. So I think I go the USB DAC route. 

So I will probably start with the uDAC-2 to complement my Little Dot MKIII. and then at a later point perhaps look into the Yulong D100 or something else to replace both DAC and amp.

Jan 29, 2011 at 12:39 PM Post #7 of 9
Check out the Maverick D1 DAC:

http://www.mav-audio.com/base/product/tube_magic_d1

And the huge threads on here:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/446764/maverick-audio-dac-amp
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/470639/maverick-audio-tubemagic-d1-dac-amp-condensed-faq-and-info-thread

Lots of inputs and they can power external speakers at the same time (tubes!)

Jan 29, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #8 of 9
Thanks I'll have a look at that too, but issn't that also a combination of amp/dac? Since I already have an amp I would be happier to spend money for a pure dac.

Oh and regarding budget, anything sub 400$ would be ok for me. the uDAC-2 was more to actually get a DAC and get a better source. In the not too distant future I will probably want to get some other cans, and perhaps also a better amp, but I figure i definitely need a DAC first.

Feb 1, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #9 of 9
Well I just got the uDAC-2 today and have been listening to flac files the last hour or so... WOW is all I can say, I had absolutely NO idea that the onboard realtek soundcard was that bad. 

If I could go back in time I would definately have bought a DAC before an amp. 

Now I probably need to read "The audiophiles dictionary and explanation" before I can put into words what difference I'm hearing. So for now I'll just say "Its fu...ing great" :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back