Need DAC Advice
Dec 13, 2006 at 1:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Jo6Pak

100+ Head-Fier
Here's the deal:

I have Senn 595s and an Original Master on order. Before they arrive, I am trying to assemble what other EXISTING components I have access to, which will provide the best performance.

I have several stand-alone, home audio CD and DVD players. NONE of them are what I would call 'Hi End' products. My question then is:

...Is if the DAC in a low-priced CD player is any better than the DAC in a low priced DVD player, or they about equally useless??

Since I cannot use the digital output from EITHER until I decide if/when to buy an external DAC, I will have to use what is available, so which should I go with?

THANKS!

Dec 13, 2006 at 2:29 AM Post #2 of 13
Congrats on your purchases

I'd go with the cd player for 2 reason
1) The cd players clock (or sample rate or somethin...) will be made for CD audio, whereas a DVD player's is at a different rate
2) A $100 cd player will be putting $100 into audio. a $100 dvd player will probably be putting $75 into video and $25 into audio

if you have access to all of them, then try them all with your new gear! The reality is that probably neither will be amazingly detailed, so you may as well select the one that's the most fun to listen to.

Dec 13, 2006 at 2:48 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by hugz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A $100 cd player will be putting $100 into audio. a $100 dvd player will probably be putting $75 into video and $25 into audio

That's kind of what I was thinking...THANKS!

Dec 13, 2006 at 3:22 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by hugz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats on your purchases

I'd go with the cd player for 2 reason
1) The cd players clock (or sample rate or somethin...) will be made for CD audio, whereas a DVD player's is at a different rate
2) A $100 cd player will be putting $100 into audio. a $100 dvd player will probably be putting $75 into video and $25 into audio

if you have access to all of them, then try them all with your new gear! The reality is that probably neither will be amazingly detailed, so you may as well select the one that's the most fun to listen to.

X2.. Although I hear the Toshiba HD1 player is great for audio..

Dec 13, 2006 at 3:27 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo6Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's the deal:

I have Senn 595s and an Original Master on order. Before they arrive, I am trying to assemble what other EXISTING components I have access to, which will provide the best performance.

I have several stand-alone, home audio CD and DVD players. NONE of them are what I would call 'Hi End' products. My question then is:

...Is if the DAC in a low-priced CD player is any better than the DAC in a low priced DVD player, or they about equally useless??

Since I cannot use the digital output from EITHER until I decide if/when to buy an external DAC, I will have to use what is available, so which should I go with?

THANKS!

Great choice.. The orignal masters bass can't be beat for the price, & should tame the bloated bass on the 595's.. Do a search on the orginal Masters. Vic wrote a great piece on it, & compared the amp to those costing 500-600.. Even has it's own PSU & is a portable. I still need to get one myself!!

How much are you willing to spend on a dac? For 125.00 the NOS lite AH is very good, & very popular here.. Only one snag.. Doesn't suport PCM, so you will get only buzzing when watching DVDs.

Dec 13, 2006 at 4:54 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much are you willing to spend on a dac? For 125.00 the NOS lite AH is very good, & very popular hear.. Only one snag.. Doesn't suport PCM, so you will get only buzzing when watching DVDs..

Thanks, I'll keep that model DAC in mind (any good links for info & prices?). I've pretty much resigned myself that I will continue to use the HT receiver w/HD280 Pro for DVDs and the OM/HD595 will be strictly for CDs, so the no digital isn't an issue, for now...

Dec 13, 2006 at 5:41 AM Post #10 of 13
Using a hi-end dedicated headphone amp with a wal-mart source is a great way to flush your money away. Go grab the plunger, suck it back up, and put it towards a good cheap(er) dedicated DAC, after which, even with your shotty sources, you’ll end up with a very decent start.

Like an X2 PC with only 256mb ram and an old 5400rmp HD.

If you do decide to get a dedicated DAC, I fully support CI's VDA-2 with Dusty’s latest noisefloor mod.
Up tell now, my relationship with the VDA was pure love and hate. It did so many things; so well, especially when it came to balance, neutrality, and its true 1:1 sound… But it had a crack crazy noise floor, and now... I doubt there's a single amp or preamp that lies below the VDA's gorgeous near non-existent floor.
It’s price isn’t overkill for your current gear. And if you do end up loosing you mind, deciding it’s absolutely necessary to throw down a couple grand on a dedicated transport. I’d feel more then confident pairing one with the VDA.
As soon as I get some $$$ this is exactly what I’m doing.

Good luck.

Dec 13, 2006 at 5:52 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

How much are you willing to spend on a dac? For 125.00 the NOS lite AH is very good, & very popular hear.. Only one snag.. Doesn't suport PCM, so you will get only buzzing when watching DVDs..

hu.. AC3?

Dec 13, 2006 at 12:40 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt_Carter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Using a hi-end dedicated headphone amp with a wal-mart source is a great way to flush your money away.

Good analogy!

That is exactly what I am attempting to avoid. Please point me toward info & prices of this DAC you speak of.

Note: My use for all this will be strictly HOME AUDIO components. My PCs will not be involved in this effort.

THANKS!

Dec 13, 2006 at 12:48 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

How much are you willing to spend on a dac? For 125.00 the NOS lite AH is very good, & very popular here.

This is more my price range, can someone direct me to where I can get one of these?

THANKS!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back