Need consulting on some great cans!
Aug 7, 2008 at 3:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

trojanman

New Head-Fier
Need some feedback on some headphones that are great for long listening periods. Some that are great for acid jazz, lounge, house, dance and electronic music. I have been looking at Audio Technica's, AKG's, Sony's and Grado's. I dont mind paying up to around $300 for them. It would be awesome to get some consultation on this. I have been shopping around for months!

Aug 7, 2008 at 5:13 PM Post #5 of 22
No I do not have an amp, source is my laptop and maybe...maybe my ipod here and there. Preference to open and closed is not final, havn't decided on that yet. I heard open are more clearer but im not fully sure.

Aug 7, 2008 at 5:15 PM Post #6 of 22
If you're going to get $300 headphones you'll probably want an amp.

Aug 7, 2008 at 7:03 PM Post #7 of 22
Closed may be better suited for you seeing how you dig house and electronic music. Open cans, grado sr 225 for instance, dont have that deep resonating, moving bass that closed cans can deliver. My AH-D2000's have plenty of bass. Are you a bass head?

Aug 8, 2008 at 1:59 PM Post #8 of 22
Well in a way yes Im a bit of a bass head but more for overall sound quality than anything. I listen in flat so the phones gotta have enough punch in bass and have clear crisp highs with no static, ya know? So closed would be better?

Aug 8, 2008 at 2:08 PM Post #9 of 22
I've never had a laptop with a decent enough amp to justify $300 headphones.

Perhaps you should split that budget with a nice usb dac/amp or PCI soundcard.

Aug 8, 2008 at 2:23 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by EugeneK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never had a laptop with a decent enough amp to justify $300 headphones.

Perhaps you should split that budget with a nice usb dac/amp or PCI soundcard.

x2. Grab a Zero DAC/amp from ebay, you can get them for ~$150 shipped and they are absolutely the best deal in hifi for an all-in-one right now. Nice DAC, nice amp, cheap as hell. Then, grab either Sennheiser HD595 (possibly the best bang-for-the-buck in the category) if you want open, Grado SR125/225, or Denon D2000 if you really need bass and want closed. That setup is a true budget audiophile start.

P.S. If you are a basshead, nix the AKGs, you won't be happy.

Aug 8, 2008 at 2:23 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by trojanman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I DONT KNOW HOW TO USE THIS SITE! HELP ME PLEASE!

No problem. Read my post, do what I recommended, and you'll love it.

Aug 8, 2008 at 2:30 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by trojanman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I DONT KNOW HOW TO USE THIS SITE! HELP ME PLEASE!

OK! WE HEAR YOU LOUD AND CLEAR...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Calm down (uppercase = shouting), read the replies, and ask again if the replies still don't answer your question.
Welcome to Head-Fi!

Aug 8, 2008 at 2:46 PM Post #14 of 22
how the hell can you not know how to use this site if you managed to register and post.

a bit of searching to find out a rough idea of the likely candidates is a good idea also although not sure i was able to do that when i posted for help.

i did however, not start throwing a tantrum.

Aug 8, 2008 at 7:42 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by audionewbie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how the hell can you not know how to use this site if you managed to register and post.

a bit of searching to find out a rough idea of the likely candidates is a good idea also although not sure i was able to do that when i posted for help.

i did however, not start throwing a tantrum.

Let's not beat him up too much, he was confused, over-excited and new. I'm sure he gets the idea now. I know I was confused as hell when I started this crazy odyssey into hi-fi (still am). The old guys need to help the new guys out, that's why this is a community.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back