Need concise recommendation on sub-$100, bass heavy (dubstep) headphones with isolation
Jul 31, 2013 at 4:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

gedneyj

New Head-Fier
I have spent TOO MANY hours reviewing headphones and cannot make up my mind.  I need a sub-$100 (firm price), bass-heavy for mostly Dubstep, good isolation (noisy office), comfortable (long hours), full-sized headphone.  I had the HTF600s which sounded great, but blocked NOTHING from the outside.

I have almost pulled the trigger on the Monoprice 8323, HD 429, CAL, and a few others, but always get swamped with reviews and cannot decide.  I am spending too much time looking and need to get something.  Please help and tell me what to buy!!!

Max Price:  $100
Music:  Dubstep
Size:  Over-Ear (Full size)
Isolation:  As much as possible
Comfort:  Will wear for 12hrs straight

Jul 31, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #5 of 11
Heya,

Brainwavz HM5 when on sale, are about $100. Or get some pre-owned. Suggested for their high level of isolation. They are not bassy, they are neutral, but can be very bassy when equalized (I have done it, which is why I suggest it).

Then simply equalize them for bass.

Note: you are not going to find a headphone with great isolation and wonderful amounts of bass in the combination that you probably want, even at a higher price range. The best thing you can do is get a good flat headphone with good isolation, and simply equalize for bass. Simply learn to equalize properly so it stays distortion free and clean.

Very best,

Jul 31, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #6 of 11
WS55 is inexpensive and has decent bass ($69)
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/ATH-WS55

Not sure about the isolation though as I don't have a noisy listening environment.

Used Q40's?

Quite honestly, IEM's (atrios, sony xb's, monster turbines) are going to isolate better and have better bass in your price range.

Aug 1, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:
WS55 is inexpensive and has decent bass ($69)
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/ATH-WS55

Not sure about the isolation though as I don't have a noisy listening environment.

Used Q40's?

Quite honestly, IEM's (atrios, sony xb's, monster turbines) are going to isolate better and have better bass in your price range.

The WS55s are on-ear, and the Q40s are too expensive.  I have the Shure SE215 and Creative Aurvana IEMs, but want some cans as well.

Again, here are the requirements.  I do have the CMoyBB, so the bass will be increased to help.

sub-$100
Over Ear
Good Bass Response, especially sub-bass
Good Isolation
Comfortable
Music:  Dubstep

Aug 1, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:
The WS55s are on-ear, and the Q40s are too expensive.  I have the Shure SE215 and Creative Aurvana IEMs, but want some cans as well.

Again, here are the requirements.  I do have the CMoyBB, so the bass will be increased to help.

sub-$100
Over Ear
Good Isolation
Comfortable

Refurbished Q40's with warranty from Audio-Topia (over 15000 ratings w/99.3% positive feedback) for $109.99 buy it now or make offer...offer $99.99 (sub $100)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/M-Audio-Q40-WARRANTY-Q-40-Stereo-Pro-DJ-Dynamic-Headphones-FREE-2-DAY-/251291696328?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item3a8226fcc8

Aug 2, 2013 at 12:10 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:
sub-$100
Over Ear
Good Isolation
Comfortable

Gemini HSR-1000 (Takstar Pro 80) closed headphones.
Sells on eBay for $50, I paid $68 for mine.

Aug 2, 2013 at 7:05 AM Post #11 of 11
Thanks to everyone for the recommendations.  I went ahead and got the Monoprice 8283, along with some parts to mod as recommended in the forum.  Hope it is to my liking.  Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back