Need comparison/opinions between FLC Technologies FLC 8S & Torque Audio t096z
Dec 15, 2015 at 3:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Djinnenjous

500+ Head-Fier
I know these two IEMs are fairly new on the scene, or at the very least under-represented here at Head-Fi, but I’m really hoping someone out there has had the chance to listen to both and can offer some in-depth reflection on how they compare.  Given the degree of customizability each set boasts, I am hoping to hear more about their respective speed, clarity, bass quality (not just quantity!), and other variables that will help me determine which one is the better value.

I know the FLC 8S supports up to 36 configurations but as a couple of people have pointed out here and elsewhere, most are minute enough to be irrelevant. The same is likely true for the Torques, as most of us will probably settle on 2-3 favorites we swap between. Since each IEM has its own “flat,” “bright,” “dark/warm,” and “V-shaped” configurations, my biggest questions are

1. Which IEM has the larger, more encompassing sound stage? How do they compare in terms of width, height, and depth?
  2. How good is the imaging on each set, and is the placement natural? When I listen with my eyes closed will I feel as though I could reach out into the air and grab a cymbal?
  3. Which set is more forgiving of poor recording quality? Which one dominates with pristinely mastered music?
  4. Are there obvious differences in how prone either set is to sibilance? Does one tend to bloat the bass? Can filter swapping correct for this without otherwise undesirable trade-offs in sound quality?
  5. Does either display any particular aptitude for metal? (I’m talking black/death/doom metal, not Metallica or Iron Maiden.)
  6. What is the difference between a duck?

Many, many, MANY thanks to anyone here who can answer these questions for me. My B3P1s broke today. I need something to look forward to right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back