Need closed, over-ear headphones. Advice?
Apr 26, 2012 at 12:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

H8ff0000

New Head-Fier
I'm looking into getting a new pair of headphones. I currently own the Grado SR80. I bought them because they were at a good price point and they were highly recommended for my main genres of music (hardcore / grindcore). However I've run into some issues with them. I usually won't wear headphones for music at home. I wear them on the go. I do some public transportation, and it seems open headphones combined with my preferred type of music equals annoyed passengers. So I'd like to switch to closed. I'd also like to switch to a pair that's over-ear rather than on-ear. Comfort might be a concern as well, since I seem to be sensitive to pain associated with headphones. Also, and I know I'm going to catch some flack for this, but someone I know had a pair of Beats and kept bragging about them. I dismissed him and everyone else that mentioned those damn things. However I finally put them on not too long ago, and I have to admit, I was pleasantly surprised. To me, they sounded great. I preferred them over my Grado's. Whatever it was, I liked them a lot. To the point that I started looking into them. From what I've read, the Studio model is the one I would want if I were to get them. Looks like the MSRP on those is $300. Maybe I could find them cheaper, haven't looked. But for sake of argument, let's limit myself to $300.

TL;DR

Need headphones
$300 limit
Closed
Over-ear
Main genres Hardcore & Grindcore
Comfort a +

Apr 26, 2012 at 12:50 AM Post #2 of 17
I have heard the new Philips Citiscape Uptowns are great! They look designed for "on the go" use as well.

Apr 26, 2012 at 8:31 AM Post #6 of 17
Closed circumaural(around the ears) headphone will probably make your ears hot, especially in the hot weather. They will also probably have high clamping force if they isolate well.  I wouldn't suggest using those in the summer while commuting. Imo IEMs(in the ear isolating earphones) are a much better choice to use while commuting. A large circumaural headphone is also annoying to deal with while you aren't listening to it.

Apr 26, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #7 of 17

Quote:
Closed circumaural(around the ears) headphone will probably make your ears hot, especially in the hot weather. They will also probably have high clamping force if they isolate well.  I wouldn't suggest using those in the summer while commuting. Imo IEMs(in the ear isolating earphones) are a much better choice to use while commuting. A large circumaural headphone is also annoying to deal with while you aren't listening to it.

I definitely don't want to use IEMs. I for whatever reason hate them.
I'm not too concerned about the heat. I live in the North-East.
I don't think I'll be too bothered by it while traveling. I actually walked around for a bit with these enormous Tritton AX360's which are not at all meant to leave the house. I'd imagine most other things would be easier.

Apr 26, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #8 of 17
If you're willing to try an on-ear. The v-moda m80's are great. They're a pretty aggressive sounding headphone and work well with a lot of styles of music, plus they come with a nice case you can throw in a bag when not using the headphones. 

Apr 27, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #9 of 17

Quote:
If you're willing to try an on-ear. The v-moda m80's are great. They're a pretty aggressive sounding headphone and work well with a lot of styles of music, plus they come with a nice case you can throw in a bag when not using the headphones. 

Definitely want over-ear. Also I should mention, lightweight would be a +.

Apr 27, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #10 of 17
Loving my new AKG K550s for a state of trance! Just the right amount of bass, so not to overwhelm the mids and highs

Apr 28, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #12 of 17
Well, I just got the DBI pro700s and they sound reallllyyy good with metal (I listen to death metal and black metal). They're very cheap, around $40 plus shipping on ebay. They're definitely my new favorite. And thats saying a lot. 

Apr 28, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #13 of 17

Quote:
Well, I just got the DBI pro700s and they sound reallllyyy good with metal (I listen to death metal and black metal). They're very cheap, around $40 plus shipping on ebay. They're definitely my new favorite. And thats saying a lot. 

That's intriguing. Not a lot to put down. Wouldn't be a huge loss if I don't like them.

Edit: However I'm not against spending more for quality, so I'd still consider others. I'm going to go to where I got my Grados and see what they have to test.

Apr 29, 2012 at 8:40 AM Post #14 of 17
Now that I think of it, the place I got my Grado SR80 afaik only carried the Grado brand, so I might have to keep looking for a local place to test these. However I've been doing a lot of reading and the the Ultrasone HFI-580 sounds like a great option. The Denon AH-D2000 sounds like an interesting option as well, however I'm leaning towards the 580.

Any amp recommendations for the 580?

Also, my source at the moment is a Cowon D2. I'm thinking of getting a Z2, but it's not at the top of my list right now.

Apr 29, 2012 at 3:46 PM Post #15 of 17
You said you had $300 right? If I where you I would purchase those ultrasone's for now, keep the rest of the money and save up for a great amp so down the road if you get great headphones that need a great amp you would already have one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back