Need closed, easily powered affordable phones. Newer V6/7506 alternative?
Oct 6, 2004 at 12:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

pineapples10

100+ Head-Fier
I havent posted here ion quite a while, as my headphone setup got to the point where I was happy and didnt need any motivation to spend more money. Anyway, lately ive been feeling the need to carry less stuff (i.e. leave the amp at home). I know that 'back in the day' the Sony V6 / 7506 were good comfortable closed phones that sounded pretty good without an amp. Are these still a good buy, or have other phones come out recently that are superior to these? The only requirements I have is that they be closed and that they dont absolutely require an amp.

EDIT: Also, I dont want to spend more than $80 or so.

Oct 6, 2004 at 1:11 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by commando
Canal phones are by far the best portable option IMHO. Closed cans are bigger, heavier, often need an amp to sound their best, and look silly. Canals are small, light, easily portable, fit in a bag/pocket, and generally don't need an amp to sound great.

But would the sound quality be anywhere near a comparitively priced full-size?

Oct 6, 2004 at 1:20 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by 450
But would the sound quality be anywhere near a comparitively priced full-size?

some would say that canalphones sound better than comparably priced full sized phones.

Oct 6, 2004 at 1:26 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx
i disagree. i prefer my a mx300 the ex71. ksc35 to the e2c. and fc to the er6i.

The MX300 sounds better than the EX71?

Oct 6, 2004 at 1:38 AM Post #9 of 9
They are still a good buy. There are plenty of others around, but few IMO which offer the all round versatility of a reasonably portable pair of truly closed phones. The HD25-1 gets mentioned often and for good reason, but for the price I doubt you can beat the V6. They can sound strident but their sonic issues are comparatively inconsequential compared to the compromises of low-cost canalphones like the EX71.

The 7506/V6 is fairly indestructible, can be worn around the neck fairly unobtrusively when not in use, folds into one of the most portable bundles of a full-sized phone (although not exactly pocketable), offers good isolation and can be used from most portables (if not the European crippled Sony's) unamped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back