Need Cheap USB DAC advice
Mar 14, 2009 at 4:51 AM Post #16 of 33
I would like to tag on to this question instead of creating yet another thread with the same basic question.
I would like to get people who know more than one of the following to tell me which of the following they prefer over whichever of the others they heard too.
If you could let me know how their headphone amps sound (while i slowly build and assemble a PPAV2 down the road) i would really appreciate it:

E-MU 0202
M-Audio Fast Track USB
Silverstone EB01
Edirol UA-1EX

Currently i am using a Vista(x64) laptop, but would not mind being able to use my DAC in linux at some point in time, so that could be another consideration.
I don't actually need any of the inputs and i have no source material above 16/48, so 24/192 may be nice if i ever end up having to record something, but is not a must for clear detailed playback of my material.
And if someone finds me the E-MU 0202 for $75 (i see $90 on amazon) the search might also find a quick end.

So if you could tell me which of the three you would prefer and why it would really be great.

Thanks,

Daniel

PS.: Although all listed are commercial (mass produced) products, i do miss the ability to roll opamps like i am able to do on my portable headphone amp and thus would not mind a DIY kit or one built by an individual instead of a factory.....but then i'd be googling for a few more weeks trying to narrow down the list.

Mar 14, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #18 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Traddad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Chaintech AV-710 has the death screech and I need some way to get music from the 'puter to my stereo. I can switch back to the on board card (motherboard) but I'd like a small, cheap DAC (or a new card). It will be stationary.
So far my choices are
a) alien
b) One of HotAudio's dacs
c) an open box M-audio 192 (or other)
d) a Fubar II

Any suggestions?

I just picked up a NuForce Icon Mobile and it's awesome! Only $99 from a world renowned audio company. Its a USB DAC/AMP

Mar 15, 2009 at 2:04 AM Post #21 of 33
Gamma 1!

Mar 15, 2009 at 3:37 AM Post #22 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChroniCali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gamma 1!

Another vote for the Gamma1. I have one and love it. Either DIY or get one of the professional builders on AMB's site to build you one.

Mar 15, 2009 at 7:53 AM Post #23 of 33
Thanks for the gamma1 suggestion, yet more to consider, i keep tripping over ebay links to chinese products that often look pretty interesting.
I think i am mostly hesitant because i already have a XM5 which has a dac that to me sounds fine.
I just want something that was not build with size in mind and squeezes a dac a headphone amp and a 9V block into a case the size of the gamma1 case. (something that is not mobile, but stays under my desk, and will be accompanied by a headphone amp and chip or t-amp, hence the wanting line level outs, something my mobile headphone amp does not have)
I think a dac built around (socketed) opamps would suit me, since in can control the sound of my amp that way, i think i would like to control what brings the dac's signal to line level outputs.
Since some of he suggestions on this thread do use the cirrus logic chips, i am giving chinese built dacs another look. (I think i confused cirrus logic dacs with dacs from another company with C* before)
Keep the suggestions coming, there ought to be "the one", the one that sounds good, looks good (gotta keep wife from seeing ugly boxes), and has socketed parts to sooth the tinkerer's heart and stay around (better under) the $100 mark.

Thanks,

Daniel

Mar 15, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #25 of 33
Not sure where the $299 are spent on that one. Thanks for the suggestion though.

The more i think about my laptop's usb, instead of buying a expresscard usb for a usb dac, what would be a good way to get an optical digital out to drive all those 24/192 dacs that had a 16/48 usb receiver?.
Maybe disconnecting the laptop from the dac electrically would be the best option, also my evil cellphone would not be able to introduce anything into a fibre optic cable for sure
wink.gif

Mar 16, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #27 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just picked up a NuForce Icon Mobile and it's awesome! Only $99 from a world renowned audio company. Its a USB DAC/AMP

I noticed i never replied to this.

I am not looking for another mobile headphone amp with dac, Icon Mobile was one of many i considered and picked the Practical Devices XM5 in the end.

Nothing wrong with the XM5, i just want something that provides a line level out instead of an amped headphone out as my source, that's all.
If Practical Devices came out with something in a different form factor made to be used at home and not mobile and quality is anything like the XM5, i'd be all over it, even if it's a dac/head amp combo so long it has a line level out for my speaker's amp.

Mar 23, 2009 at 6:17 AM Post #28 of 33
Hey guys, I'm still thinking about a DAC. But my main question is, is there a significant performance difference between a portable DAC like an Alien DAC compared to a large desktop DAC like the Keces? I'm currently going: laptop->LDI+->Headphones.

Would an Alien DAC satisfy me? Or is the Keces DAC a worthy investment?

Mar 23, 2009 at 11:33 PM Post #29 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by chews89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys, I'm still thinking about a DAC. But my main question is, is there a significant performance difference between a portable DAC like an Alien DAC compared to a large desktop DAC like the Keces? I'm currently going: laptop->LDI+->Headphones.

Would an Alien DAC satisfy me? Or is the Keces DAC a worthy investment?

There will be a difference, not sure if it will be night and day. They have different sound sigs, you can just take a look at what is inside an Alien DAC and what is inside a Keces DAC. Keces has far higher quality parts and is not confined by space like the Alien DAC is.

It being a worthy investment is to your own ears. Not sure if I've seen any direct comparisons between the two though. I've heard the Alien sound sgood and the Keces sounds good too, sounds even better with the MK2 that came out this year supposedly.

Mar 24, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #30 of 33
Thanks ChroniCali for the reply. I decided to go with an Alien DAC and I have a feeling that I'll be satisfied with it
smily_headphones1.gif
Pretty much because I just want to get rid of all the noise from my laptop headphone jack

Users who are viewing this thread

Back