Need cheap IEM's
Jun 15, 2008 at 6:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

walls

100+ Head-Fier
I need a pair of IEM's for use on my motorcycle, I will be using my Nano as a source and I wear a full helmet. I need something that will block out outside noise as much as possible as I do not want to have to turn up the volume to dangerous levels in order to hear the music.
wink.gif

Oh and did I mention that i really want them to be CHEAP?? LOL!!!

Jun 15, 2008 at 6:11 AM Post #2 of 16
Cheap...um...what is considered cheap to you?
smily_headphones1.gif
Because if you want something cost $10 ~ $20, most of them sound the same to me. Walmart will do the job
wink.gif

Or are you looking for some quality IEM but in a cheaper range?

Jun 15, 2008 at 6:15 AM Post #3 of 16
Cheap to me would be $50 or less. I know that I can buy the $20 cheapies from Wal-Mart and such and would be OK with that as long as they were at least half way decent and more importantly did a good job at blocking out noise.

Jun 15, 2008 at 6:20 AM Post #4 of 16
Sounds dangerous to use an isolating IEM when riding a motocycle. I wouldn't recommend it at all (using headphones at all while driving/motorcycling seems like a very bad idea).

Jun 15, 2008 at 6:29 AM Post #5 of 16
+1 esun

Hopefully this is going to give you an idea, according to headroom's rating, i think the Denon AH-C351K fits your budget, 49.99 + shipping. Again you will probably find it cheaper on ebay or other online retailers.
Ear Canal Headphones - HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears

Jun 22, 2008 at 6:08 AM Post #8 of 16
Walmart has some cheap IEMs. They have some Sentry models for around $10. A little higher on the cheap side(<50) would be the JVC masrshmallows or Koss.

I definately wouldn't use IEMs while riding. Especially on the road. Just another distraction that could be hazardous.

Jun 22, 2008 at 6:10 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by esun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds dangerous to use an isolating IEM when riding a motocycle. I wouldn't recommend it at all (using headphones at all while driving/motorcycling seems like a very bad idea).

Considering how a full-face helmet blocks out a hell of a lot of sound, this line of reasoning is somewhat silly. But it may be illegal in your municipality to drive a motorcycle with headphones on (though I see it all the time 'round here).

I plan on installing full-size headphone drivers into a full-face helmet if I ever buy a motorcycle. =D

Jun 22, 2008 at 7:36 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I plan on installing full-size headphone drivers into a full-face helmet if I ever buy a motorcycle. =D

That is a great idea. Helmets can be customized with built in speakers and even communication devices to talk to a friend on another bike.

An in-helmet speaker would be much safer since your ear isn't completely sealed. At least you are still able to hear surrounding noise as well.

A standard IEM can be bad, especially since you may get "in your own world" and not pay attention.

Jun 23, 2008 at 8:47 PM Post #11 of 16
IMO riding with headphones of any type is probably a bad idea, but you came here looking for headphone advice, so I think you should get some.

I think CX300's or the Dennon's. Definately not the best headphones on the market, but for this price you can't go wrong. The CX300's are good if you like lots of bass, but its quite muddy.

Nov 23, 2009 at 8:59 PM Post #12 of 16
sorry to resurrect this old thread...

actually you want to block out some frequencies like the wind noise, cause otherwise I can damage your hearing. Specially at higher speeds. It also get's really tiring and distracting.

Main reasons that all smart riders ride with earplugs

Which is better: earplugs or noise cancelling headphones? - Pashnit Motorcycle Forum

now about IEM's I'm not sure and it will take some testing. But if you are responsible and don't turn up the volume to much that you can still hear everything important you should be fine. The main idea is really to relax and being able to pay MORE attention to the surrounding.

If you find yourself riding and tapping the right foot, turn down the music, cause that's a really stupid thing todo...

For the none riders, the right foot operates the rear break...

Jul 15, 2010 at 12:30 PM Post #13 of 16
hi, I posted something like this a couple of weeks ago. a poster by the name of setamp told me he took a pair of regular portable headphones, took away as much unnecessary plastic as possible, place the speakers between the padding and the shell (no glue, just pressure holds it in). Following his suggestion, I did the same thing. It worked out very well. I ran the wires down the back of the helmet. There is no falling out of the ear earpieces, I can hear other noises (car horns, etc). The only difference, Setamp was going to shorten the wires, I'm a little afraid of messing up the soldering job.

Jul 15, 2010 at 12:46 PM Post #14 of 16
I would recommend the Mc5 if you are not afraid of very deep insertion into you ear. It is made by Etymotic, and as such may seem to be somewhat lacking in bass... it took me a week to start loving them. Noise isolation is better that most any other phone you will find, and clarity is superb. MSRP is not so good. They run $80, but if you want something similar, look for the Er6i, also by Etymotic, which can be had for ~$50.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back