Need cheap IEM's for interesting purpose!
Mar 8, 2010 at 2:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

grammarftw

New Head-Fier
Hey all,

Don't worry - this isn't the generic "which headphones can I buy for 50 dollars for all types of music?"

Here's the deal. I play on an electronic drum set and use my Denon 7000's to listen to the music while running an iPod ear-bud underneath them which is hooked up to the actual kit so I can hear the drum noises to know that I am playing along correctly. It would be ideal to get a big amplifier for the kit and just play with an open air set, but my neighbors wouldn't like that much. The ear-buds just barely fit under the Denon's and get popped out very easily, meaning that while it starts out alright, the second they pop out they lose all bass and turning up the volume only results in the cymbals becoming unbearably loud without any increase in bass. I have had this issue with both the stock and J$ pads. It was actually better with the stock pads.

So it boils down to this: I need a pair of IEM's that will sit underneath the Denon's without popping out at weird angles. I don't have a set budget for this, but don't want to spend a lot if there is a cheaper option that will work suitably. Ideally they won't be completely sound proof, but the drum kit is mono so I will only be able to wear one ear-bud anyways.

Thanks!

Mar 8, 2010 at 3:03 AM Post #2 of 13
I think something like the Soundmagic PL50 or MEElectronics M6 would work since they are pretty flat on the ear and they are relatively low cost. Not sure how much they block out sound though.

Mar 8, 2010 at 6:45 AM Post #3 of 13
I would recommend the PL-30 or PL-50 since they wrap around your ears for a more secure fit. The sound isolation is pretty decent given that you find the right tips.

Mar 8, 2010 at 4:01 PM Post #4 of 13
The issue with the iPod ear-buds isn't really how much they stick out of my ear away from my head, it's that they are too large up and down. I attached an image below of where I am having issues. The two straight pieces sticking out that give them a decent fit are the part I am having the most problem with.

On the image below imagine that pressure is being applied to the point labeled as 1. When the pressure by the Denon's pad hits it, point 2 travels in the opposite direction - away from my ear.

If I am not mistaken it looks like the PL30 or PL50 might suffer a similar problem... and with the around-the-ear band that looks like it could get incredibly uncomfortable.

Mar 8, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #6 of 13
Here are your requirements:
1) "A pair of IEM's that will sit underneath the Denon's without popping out at weird angles.
2) No set budget
3) Ideally they won't be completely sound proof (which means to say you want it noise isolating?)

The perfect choice--customs!
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 8, 2010 at 6:18 PM Post #9 of 13
confused.gif
... but the Grado SR-60's are over-the-ear headphones. I need something I can comfortably wear UNDER the Denon's. I will do custom IEM's if I have to, but would really prefer to find an alternative (cheaper) route if such a thing exists.

Mar 8, 2010 at 6:36 PM Post #10 of 13
Definitely something that goes over-the-ear natively. I've worn the Soundmagic PL30 and PL50 under industrial ear muffs at work and they work great - very flush with your ear, don't break the seal of the earmuffs. The Meelec M6 will work too but you may have to remove the memory wire (3 mins with an xacto knife and a plier). Isolation rather average on all three, so you should be okay there.

Mar 8, 2010 at 6:41 PM Post #11 of 13
I'm not sure I fully understand the premise... you want to be able to monitor two sources? Drum mic's with earphones and then the track with over-ear headphones. If I'm understanding the situation, you want something miniscule without too much isolation. I would say PL-50s with some of their rather flimsy stock silicone tips.

Mar 8, 2010 at 6:52 PM Post #13 of 13
Well, of the earphones I've used, the SoundMAGIC PL-50 and Sennheiser CX250 probably fit the bill the best. The isolation is really dependent on the tips you're using though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back