Need cheap high end cd player for home?
Aug 15, 2002 at 1:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

fredpb

1000+ Head-Fier
I am mainly into vinyl with my main system. I use mostly older classical CD's for my souce.

I am thinking of upgrading two cdps.

One in the living room. RIght now a Rega Planet. Nice solid one.
Can be a bit laid back. I was thinking of adding perhaps a outboard DAC to it? Something that would add zing to my old CD collection. I have no plans for SACD. But this one can wait.

My bedroom system does need a better source. But it has to be a really nice sounding unit. Right now a 5 cd Sony. Yech. But it works. I have been eyeing the Music Hall CD25. I do have a 15% off certficate for one online retailer. Could get it for about $520. That is still a bit steep for what I want.

I am just considering this. I am not familiar with all the brands out there and there is not much of a local source either. I might be able to see a Marantz unit or a Rotel, but that's it.
And they have no return policy.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Aug 15, 2002 at 1:44 AM Post #2 of 6
I have the Music Hall player and it is very good. I think you can find a cheaper price than $500. I've seen some demos on Audiogon for less, if you're willing to take a slightly used machine.
I also have a Cambridge Audio D500 SE which is a nice player. If the place you have the 15% discount is AA, they sell this unit new and they also have a demo model (don't know if you can use the discount on it).
Both the players are good performers and seem to be in the price range you're looking for.

Aug 15, 2002 at 2:25 AM Post #3 of 6
I am currently using a NAD C541i as a transport to a Bel Canto DAC 1. Very nice, but I have coveted the Arcam CD72 ever since I heard it. You can get a great deal on the NAD at Yawa Audio. Their prices are great and their service is even better. Or keep watching the Gear For Sale forum, you may end up seeing my unit posted there.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 15, 2002 at 2:48 AM Post #4 of 6
Im really happy with my marantz cd6000ose. Price is under 400 US.

I got mine for 770 aussie which is about 385 US.

Cheap and not a bad sounding cdp.

Aug 15, 2002 at 2:58 AM Post #5 of 6
I haven't heard the others mentioned, but I have been impressed with my Cambridge Audio D500SE, fwiw.

Aug 15, 2002 at 9:26 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by fredpb
I am mainly into vinyl with my main system. I use mostly older classical CD's for my souce.

I am thinking of upgrading two cdps.

One in the living room. RIght now a Rega Planet. Nice solid one.
Can be a bit laid back. I was thinking of adding perhaps a outboard DAC to it?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I would keep the player and get the Musical Fidelity A324 DAC ($1100). It's a VERY sweet sounding DAC and it does upsampling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back