Need cans for portable MD listening...
Oct 21, 2001 at 9:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

krycis

New Head-Fier
I'm not an audiophile, but I really do like quality when it comes to audio. I am an avid MD dubber and want to carry over that quality from the discs to my ears.

I've got a pair of E888s that I've been using for quite some time, but I'm looking to get some nice comfortable cans for casual home/away use. I've heard good (and bad) things about the AKGs and the Sennies, not much about the Beyers.

What I'd like to know is this, what would accompany a Total Airhead the best for MD listening? K401s, K501s, HD580s, etc.? (They would also be used along with my SB Audigy and who knows what else.)

Im looking to be cost effective too, I can sacrifice audiophile quality if the price point is right. Right now Im bending towards teh k401s due to price and the nice reviews they've been getting.

Thanks in advance for your help!

krycis,
out.

PS. Comfort is also an important factor. I don't want to have to take my cans off every half hour because they're digging into my ears! Yet they don't have to be so comfortable that I want to wear them while I sleep. =)

Oct 21, 2001 at 8:58 PM Post #2 of 9
I use a Sony MZE75 MD player with Sony MDR-7506 headphones and they sound amazing. They are a bit on the big side and if you wear glasses like i do they can be uncomfortable after an hour or two (if you have small ears i doubt they will pose a problem).

You dont need an amp to power these, they are extremely efficient cans.

Plus the V6 model (not the V600's) is identical to the 7506's and goes for $70, the 7506's go for $90-120 depending on where you shop, try djmart.com or marsmusic to check these out. Check them out and just ask others on this site, these cans come highly recommended, they are worth every red cent!

George

Oct 21, 2001 at 10:59 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

What I'd like to know is this, what would accompany a Total Airhead the best for MD listening? K401s, K501s, HD580s, etc.? (They would also be used along with my SB Audigy and who knows what else.)

While all of those are good headphones, I think that some of them might be a bit much to drive with a Total Airhead.

I think you should consider a pair of Grados if you want a higher end pair of headphones that works well with a portable MD. I have a pair of SR-225's ($200), and they sound fantastic out of the headphone out of my Sony MZR-70 (which has a very weak amp, btw). You will have to buy an 1/4 to 1/8" adaptor, though, for the SR-225 and up.

The Sony MDR-V6's mentioned above are also excellent for portable use, and they are an excellent value for $70, but there are better phones in the price range you're looking at.

Oct 21, 2001 at 11:28 PM Post #5 of 9
I say go with the Beyerdynamic DT250-80's! If you're into rock you'll particularly enjoy these phones. They sound great (better than the V6), are really comfortable, are easily powered (they'll work great with the TA, but an amp might not even be necessary), and have a very flat frequency response (save for a slightly elevated, but still very tight and accurate, bass response). They're small enough to be nice and portable, are built like a tank, are reasonably lightweight, and block tons of noise. They're the perfect portable rock-monsters, baby! But they sound great with any music. They won't give you as high quality sound as the AKG's or the Senns, but they're much better for portable applications. In fact, the headphones you mentioned are not portable at all (particularly the AKG's).

Oct 22, 2001 at 3:36 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by Gluegun
Dude, teh V6's are great, but he seems to be looking at a higher end/not studio monitoring/more open and such deal, right?

Do you want open or closed?

Yes, Im really looking for something a bit more open. I have been under the impression that the k401s were more comfortable than the v6s and the sr80s. I can't stand cans that dig into my Dumbo-esque ears. I would really like to know if the TA would be overwhelmed by the k401s, since that would seriously alter my purchase. I just can't justify a $300USD+ amp purchase just yet. Even if the TA would hold me over for a while (past snowboarding season - new gear) then I might be able to hauk off the TA and upgrade. Thanks for all the input so far!

krycis,
out.

Oct 22, 2001 at 4:08 AM Post #7 of 9
here's the thing though: AKG's are massive. Like super-huge. They're far from portable!

Oct 22, 2001 at 4:53 AM Post #8 of 9
I've been given the "just go with the v6s" by one of my buddies. He's under the impression that I can get decent sound out of them sans amp, and if I wanted to splurge, they would sound even better with an amp (and that the TA would be a good match). I trust his word, but I want to make sure I explore all options and opinions. This is getting manic =)

krycis,
out.

Oct 22, 2001 at 9:14 PM Post #9 of 9
The V6's do sound amazing, your postable will drive them fine (believe me, i use a MD player...5mw output). It's loud as hell and sound fantastic, you wont be disappointed.

George

Users who are viewing this thread

Back