Need cable suggestions
Sep 7, 2011 at 11:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Raguvian

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I want to make a shorter and not coiled cable for my AiAiAi TMA-1. I have some Canare Star Quad on hand and wanted to use it for its beefiness which would help in portable situations but it appears the 3.5mm Neutriks (I'd be using both angled and straight plugs) won't accept such a thick cable. The Mini Star Quad is also too thick apparently, unless someone can correct me on this.

Can anyone suggest a decent cable that's about $1.25/foot max? I don't need much so I'd like to buy it by the foot. It doesn't have to be a quad cable but that would be nice. 

Thanks!

Sep 8, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #2 of 4
Canare L-4E5C Mini-Star-Quad is too thick to fit in the L shapped Neutrik, it just wont fit, and it fits (barely) in the Straight plug Rean
here's a pict, that is the canare cable and the straight rean plug, I made it fit with oil so I could slide the cable into the barrel, and the cable has some bruises now

The Mogami w2893 is slimmer and its a perfect match in the Neutrik L shapped plug, and fits easily in the Rean, in the rean it could even rake some sleeve.

You could also buy wires and use tefflon to go around them and then some nylon sleeve, I did that here

and those are the only ones I've tried.

Sep 8, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #3 of 4

Quote:
Canare L-4E5C Mini-Star-Quad is too thick to fit in the L shapped Neutrik, it just wont fit, and it fits (barely) in the Straight plug Rean
here's a pict, that is the canare cable and the straight rean plug, I made it fit with oil so I could slide the cable into the barrel, and the cable has some bruises now

The Mogami w2893 is slimmer and its a perfect match in the Neutrik L shapped plug, and fits easily in the Rean, in the rean it could even rake some sleeve.

You could also buy wires and use tefflon to go around them and then some nylon sleeve, I did that here

and those are the only ones I've tried.

Thanks!

Just wondering about the W2893, it says the diameter is 4.8 mm and Neutrik's website says it can only take up to 4.2 mm and the Rean can only take 4 mm?

I was thinking about buying the Switchcraft RA plug that can take 6 mm cable and just using the Star Quad I have but those are about $12-14 shipped...

I'm going to do what you did and just buy some 22 awg wire and braid it and put a nylon sleeve over that.

Sep 8, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #4 of 4

Quote:
Just wondering about the W2893, it says the diameter is 4.8 mm and Neutrik's website says it can only take up to 4.2 mm and the Rean can only take 4 mm?

I was thinking about buying the Switchcraft RA plug that can take 6 mm cable and just using the Star Quad I have but those are about $12-14 shipped...

I'm going to do what you did and just buy some 22 awg wire and braid it and put a nylon sleeve over that.

That is weird, I swear it fits. I've done it. without the white pastic part inside the barrel. you dont need cable, you wont need strain releaf anyway since the fit is tight.
the switchraft is beeffy, not very portable. but more portable than the Calrad.

PS: I used teflon tape over the wires, just to keep then in place and have some extra shield.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back