Need budget IEM recommendations (+ brief Zune 120 impressions)
Sep 30, 2008 at 3:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

TerminallyOdd

New Head-Fier
I picked up a Zune 120 yesterday and so far, so good. I was a bit hesitant due to the lack of EQ, but I must say, I'm not missing it much at all. Paired with my EP-630's, the bass is booming and the soundstage is pretty good. It sounds comparable to my Zen Vision: M with custom EQ settings, perhaps a bit better (I'm no audiophile, so subtle differences, I can't really pick up on)...oh, and I'm really enjoying the Zune 3.0 software. The interface is snazzy, and just managing my collection/album art in itself is actually fun.

And if you haven't held the device in your hands, it's surprising how much smaller/thinner it is in reality as compared to how it looks in pictures. It's really sleek looking, in it's own geeky way. The touchpad works perfectly, and you can disable the left/right swipe so you don't accidentally skip through songs, which is a welcome feature.

My biggest gripe so far (if you want to call it that), is that the screen, while large, is noticeably low res and not very bright, even at the highest setting. I can hardly see the thing out in the sunlight, whereas I had little problem with the smaller (but much brighter) screen on the ZV:M. Still, the bigger screen is definitely a welcome upgrade over what I'm used to.

All that said, I am looking to upgrade from my EP-630's to something a bit more high end. I'm not looking to spend more than $100, so I was wondering if it's even worth getting a new pair of IEM's with that considered? My only requirements are that they don't loop around the ear, and that they have a Y (not J) cord...and of course, sound great.

Sep 30, 2008 at 11:26 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moontan13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Didn't you like (or not get) the M$ Zune v2 ear buds? Some peeps are telling me they're excellent.

Zune Premium does not come with normal Zune 120. However, it is included on all Zunes if you buy from www.zuneoriginals.net website.

Oct 1, 2008 at 2:03 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by TerminallyOdd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, should have dug around a bit more before asking my question.

Thanks!

You're welcome, I hope I didn't seem rude. It's just a habit I've developed on forums over the years, but I basically just went through what you are. Since I'm in college and don't have oodles of cash (yet, muahahahha!) I decided on Head-Direct RE2 and a FiiO e3 amp for 'em. Total was like 100 bucks including all the shipping and I'm pleased.

Find some that fit your budget on those links and then search for other threads on the forum to read reviews. You'll feel more fulfilled doing it that way then just buying what some random person says on here ya know?

Oct 1, 2008 at 1:22 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Zune Premium does not come with normal Zune 120. However, it is included on all Zunes if you buy from www.zuneoriginals.net website.

Good to know. thanx.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back