Need blues recommendations...
Sep 16, 2006 at 5:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

Jbucla2005

1000+ Head-Fier
Here's what I've gotten into so far: Jimmy Witherspoon, Big Joe Turner, Louis Jordan, Jimmy Rushing, Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown, Big Mama Thornton, & Memphis Minnie. I am looking for more recommendations for good blues. Thanks.

Sep 16, 2006 at 5:40 AM Post #2 of 45
I really like Eddie Cleanhead Vinson and Johnny Guitar Watson.

See ya
Steve

Sep 16, 2006 at 5:46 AM Post #3 of 45
I've always been a big fan of Buddy Guy. His early work with Junior Wells, as well as his recordings "Stone Crazy" and "Left My Blues in San Francisco" have always been some of my favorites. DJ Play My blues and Sweet Pea are notable later recordings.

Can't really overlook Muddy Waters or John Lee Hooker either.

Sep 16, 2006 at 5:54 AM Post #4 of 45
Thanks. I need some Wynonie Harris as well.

Sep 16, 2006 at 12:15 PM Post #5 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack
I've always been a big fan of Buddy Guy. His early work with Junior Wells, as well as his recordings "Stone Crazy" and "Left My Blues in San Francisco" have always been some of my favorites. DJ Play My blues and Sweet Pea are notable later recordings.

Can't really overlook Muddy Waters or John Lee Hooker either.

Definitely second the John Lee Hooker vote.

I also like Son House and Lightnin' Hopkins.

Hound Dog Taylor is fun.

Sep 16, 2006 at 12:58 PM Post #8 of 45
I highly recommend Alligator Records: 20th Anniversary two disc set or the two disc 35x35 (35th Alligator Anniversary and 35 songs). Both sets give you a little of the best from a number of artists. If you find an artist you like, you can then buy the whole album. There is nothing worst then buying an album you hate!

If you like B.B. King, get Live at the Regal. No "The Thrill is Gone", but a great album and a good place to start a blues collection.

The blues are not currently popular. With a little knowledge, you can assemble a great blues collection for not a lot of money. Good Luck !

Sep 16, 2006 at 5:47 PM Post #10 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jbucla2005
Here's what I've gotten into so far: Jimmy Witherspoon, Big Joe Turner, Louis Jordan, Jimmy Rushing, Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown, Big Mama Thornton, & Memphis Minnie. I am looking for more recommendations for good blues. Thanks.

Since you have a turntable in your profile,I recommend you pick-up every Chess 2 record set and every album on the vintage series because all of these albums compliment each other and there is no bad music in any of it.I am not missing many myself.Collecting vintage blues is more about labels than artists.Once you get the labels figured out.fill them out as much as you can.

Sep 16, 2006 at 6:34 PM Post #11 of 45
T Bone Walker!

See ya
Steve

Sep 16, 2006 at 8:57 PM Post #12 of 45
Little Walter, possibly the greatest harmonica player ever. Huge, powerful, almost saxophone-like sound with lots of sweet overdriven tube distortion. Great technique.

I have not listened to L.W. for a long time, but I remember the feeling of revelation when I was eighteen. Should probably get those Chess compilation albums on cd.

Regards,

L.

Sep 18, 2006 at 11:36 PM Post #15 of 45
Leporello says,
Quote:

Little Walter, possibly the greatest harmonica player ever. Huge, powerful, almost saxophone-like sound . . . I have not listened to L.W. for a long time

Little Walter's blowing could knock a house down.

He has a boggie woggie to his blues playing.

His harmonica playing is better than his singing (which is o.k.).

Chest Records (CHD 9192) has a two album set that covers much of Walter's career.

EDIT:
I forgot to mention one important fact:

A number of blues players, particularly the older bluesmen, were not treated right. There are a large number of albums that sound very much like bootlegs or the artist got paid for the session. These albums are cheap, but of very poor quality.

Chess Records, Alligator Records and Rounder Records are all good name.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back