Need better sound under 200 €
Oct 9, 2018 at 7:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Dexter22

500+ Head-Fier
I recently misplaced my AK 70. When I bought it, I sold my JDS c5d DAC and now I am dont have a source to power my Beoplay H6 and Tin Audio T2. I am wondering if all fancy features are avoided, is there a cheaper option to get a similar sound of AK70? I tried looking for a used C5D and nobody is willing to sell it for the price I sold mine(100 €)

I am ok with barebones stuff. I have a s8 phone with a 200 GB sd, so even a portable DAC would be ok under 200.

Few options I considered: I am only worried about sound quality on the go.

1. Audioquest Dragonfly Red(I had it compared against the AK70 when I had it, definitely inferior)
2. Colorfly C200 DAP
3. Colorfly C10 DAP
4. Used Pioneer xdp 300r
5. Meridian explorer 2

Also considering 2 home based solutions, if its really worth than the above ones.

6. Used ADL Furutech Espirit DAC(need to stretch the budget by another 100 bucks, if its really worth it)
7. Oehlbach DAC xxl

I had a FiiO x5ii before AK70, so I dont need that again though it fits the budget if looked for a used one.

PLEASE HELP!!! I AM DYING WITHOUT MUSIC!!!!!

Oct 9, 2018 at 7:16 PM Post #3 of 6
Have you tried looking for a used AK 70 by chance? That would seem to solve several problems.
, it never comes under 200 € . Also, I wasnt quite satisfied by it. It had a better sound, but lacked power to drive my Beoplay H6 1st Gen well. Alway needed to go beyond 110 / 150 to get the bass right. Again cant spend another 300 € again for a used one. Used price is settled around 300 € if I am not wrong. I never used the TIdal streaming, or the AK connect and the bluetooth. I am better off with a barebones player if it can just get the sound of AK for half of the price. Also, I dont have to worry about loosing an expensive stuff again.

Oct 9, 2018 at 9:39 PM Post #4 of 6
Maybe try to find a used Ibasso DX90, or grab an DX80? Xduoo X20 is another option that should push the dynamics of your H6.

Oct 11, 2018 at 5:50 AM Post #5 of 6
I have no experience with the Beoplay or Tin Audio and am far too lazy to look up specs, however, I use a Cayin N3 DAP that I have been very happy with (sound quality wise). I paid ~$150 USD new and it serves me well. I usually use it with el cheapo KZ IEMS, but it does drive my HD650's to "loud enough" levels on high gain. Only issue I have had with this device is getting it to work on a computer through USB. Others have had this issue and solved with trying different USB cables. I have not had such luck. YMMV.

Oct 11, 2018 at 6:21 AM Post #6 of 6
I have no experience with the Beoplay or Tin Audio and am far too lazy to look up specs, however, I use a Cayin N3 DAP that I have been very happy with (sound quality wise). I paid ~$150 USD new and it serves me well. I usually use it with el cheapo KZ IEMS, but it does drive my HD650's to "loud enough" levels on high gain. Only issue I have had with this device is getting it to work on a computer through USB. Others have had this issue and solved with trying different USB cables. I have not had such luck. YMMV.
I have tried the N3, its lacks in terms of sound from the AK70 I previously had. I am looking for something sonically similar but compromises everywhere else. Thats the reason why I am looking for multiple types of devices - portable DAC amps and El cheapo DAPs with good dac and amp chips. The colorfly DAPS seems to be discontinued and are now selling for half price. Anyone had a chance to compare them against big players? N3 is swiss army knife I agree. Sonically I think the xduoo x10 was quite similar. I wasnt impressed with it either. Used xdp 300s from pioneers come under 200 occasionally. Still dont know what should I choose under 200. My phones sound sucks (Galaxy s8)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back