Need best custom in-ear monitor for noise isolation, jazz/classical
Sep 28, 2014 at 1:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

majmin7

New Head-Fier
Hi folks,

I am trying to find the most noise-isolating custom, in-ear, monitor that I can.  I am new to this market, and would really appreciate your thoughts.  I will be using it for casual listening to jazz/classical/newgrass---little or no rock/pop.  Price below $800; ideally, $400.  Located in USA.

I have invested about 18 solid hours of research by now.  Silicon (not acrylic) is the best at noise isolation.  I know of two silicon options: Sensaphonics 2X-S, and Spiral Ear 2-Way Pro. 

I am worried that the Sensaphonics model is tuned as a reference for musicians, and will not sound pleasing as a daily-listening earphone.  I know less about the Spiral Ear, but it seems to be targeted more toward the listener market.  

Can anyone comment on this?  I would really appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks,
-Eric

Sep 28, 2014 at 8:10 AM Post #2 of 12
What exactly do you need the isolation for? Just so you know, acrylic CIEMs isolates really well. When I'm around people, I don't hear them talking even when music isn't playing. When I'm walking home, and there's a lot of traffic around me, I don't hear any of it with music on. Sometimes I feel like it's too isolating lol.

Try putting on earplugs/IEMs and make sure you get a good seal. That's the level of isolation you should get with them on, or more. And then add the music and it'll probably just drown out all the noise out. You can also request stuff like making your CIEMs thicker or deeper if your ear impressions allow it.

Sep 28, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #3 of 12
Hi bobby. Thanks!  I am working in a large office that has an open floor plan.  I am also easily-distracted, and typically want complete control over my work environment so I can focus.  Since jazz/classical has a large dynamic range, I often hear noise during the quiet moments.  That irks and upsets me, which are emotions that significantly detract from my productivity.  Given how particular I am about this, it is difficult for me to consider anything but the most noise-isolating option, which is silicone.  

I also have some experience with in-ears, and various noise isolation levels.  I have some custom in-ear earplugs that cut 15dB (I believe).  Not enough.  I also sleep with some "Howard Leight max earplugs", which cut about 13db.  Neither of these two options are sufficient.  Acrylics have a 26db cut, and silicone Sensaphonics have a 37dB cut.  I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars just to discover that its not quiet enough.  Might as well err on the side of too quiet.  Too quiet is something that I have never experienced.

Sep 28, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #4 of 12
ER4S with custom fit tips (and multiple dampeners to obtain the desired lower treble).

Sep 28, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #5 of 12
Unless the office environment is at deafening levels, I am sure any acrylic iem will provide plenty of isolation. Nothing is perfect, however, so you may just have to learn to live with a little bit of background noise during quieter passages in your music. My Noble ciems do extremely well at blocking outside noise, even on airplanes.

Sep 28, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #6 of 12
Thanks SDbiotek.  Regarding the noise isolation, I think I have a reasonable sense of how well they will work given my experience with the earplugs.  Definitely don't expect complete silence given that sounds are transmitted through our bones as well as the air.

Is there a reason why I should sacrifice the noise isolation of a silicone model?  So far I've not heard any reason to do so.  Sensaphonics is lesser known on the audiophile market, but a lot of famous musicians use them, from peter frampton to taylor swift.  Perhaps the sensaphonics folks will be able to address my questions about casual listening if I call.

Sep 28, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #7 of 12
The 2x-S is 20-16,000 Hz. Not sure how that would affect the sound though especially since i've never heard it.

You'll miss out on the cool faceplates/designs if you go with silicon. :) They seem to be more expensive too.
Can't really think of much else. Maybe more maintenance?

Sep 28, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #10 of 12
Noble is pretty hush-hush about releasing detailed specs. Dr. Moulton ("Full Circle") has gone into some detail about why in the main Noble thread, but I am sure all of the Noble iems have what we'd consider a full audible frequency range. the 3 might have slightly elevated treble and bass energy compared with some other models. My K10s, by far, see the most use out of all of my headphone/iem collection, and look even nicer than in my profile pic.

Oct 9, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #12 of 12
Hi majmin7...

A couple things: I would urge you (and everyone) not to get caught up in published specs as a decision driver for IEM purchases. For example, three companies using the same drivers and crossovers may publish wildly different frequency responses (e.g., 20-16k, 20-20k, 16-24k). The same can be true for sensitivity, for isolation, etc. In fact, if you make audio purchases based strictly on specifications, you will be just as likely to end up buying from the most prodigious liars, as opposed to the company with the most sophisticated components and design. OTOH, detailed IEM performance curves being "hush-hush" is actually more legitimate than many believe, as the correlation between outstanding perceived audio and the physical shape of the response curve can be, shall we say, counterintuitive.

Being an MOT restricts my ability to comment on competitive products, but I believe I am allowed to relay the fact that silicone IEMs do, in fact, isolate better than acrylics. They also are much better at sustaining their seal, since they flex with ear canal (which changes shape with jaw movement and facial expression). This is less important to passive listeners, but can be critical on stage, as the loss of seal translates to significant loss of bass response.

FWIW, I am a non-musician listener and find the 2X-S to be an outstanding performer in terms of sound quality, comfort, and isolation. I would describe the response as reference-style, designed for accuracy so that sound engineers will know what they are sending to the performer's ears, even if those IEMs have a different sound signature.

Give Sensaphonics a call. We'll be happy to answer your questions. Good luck on your search!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back