Need Bass punch IEM, which ones?
Oct 11, 2008 at 10:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

farcry2

New Head-Fier
I know some of you don't like it, but please, I am only seeking advice on purchasing IEM, not random oppinions on motorcycle safety. Thank you very much...
biggrin.gif

I use IEM while riding my motorcycle, the type that fit snugly. They help tremdously with keeping me from going def from all the engine and wind noise. I love heavy bass, like "Korn", "Disturbed", and "Godsmack".
Before a ride, I set my MP3 players EQ and volume to a nice acceptable level with that good punchy bass. Once I get up to speed, all the bass goes away and I hear nothing but the high end. If I use the EQ to bring up the bass and flatten out all the brights, the bass just gets overdriven and muddy. I am currently using a Sony NWZ-B105f player and a pair of Koss "Plugs" IEM.
What IEM would you suggest for my issue, and what MP3 play would you suggest for more powerfull low end punch?

thanks

Oct 11, 2008 at 11:44 PM Post #3 of 12
The UE's aren't likely to fit under a helmet. The other suggestions are good though. The X5's and UM2's more potential options.

Oct 11, 2008 at 11:57 PM Post #4 of 12
Actually, the 5EB's may fit. The Koss Plugs aren't exactly small.

Oct 12, 2008 at 12:08 AM Post #5 of 12
Might take a look at the se530s, they have a great low end and are a bit rolled off at the highs. Fairly low profile also to fit under the helm, I can fit them under my motox helmet without any issues.

Dave

Oct 12, 2008 at 12:47 AM Post #7 of 12
I own the M8's and the bass is just how I want them, for me after burn-in the bass was perfect, not overwhelming and such. However isolation on the Atrio's arn't the best it seems, but I dont think you would want high isolation when your on the road, but in your description you seek isolation from the engine noise. You might want to look into that!

Oct 17, 2008 at 12:03 AM Post #8 of 12
Well, I figured I would buy 6 pairs and test them out for myself.
My Altrio M8 came in today.
They arent bad, the high end is clean and bright, the mid range is a little muddy and there is a little gap from where the midrange drops out and the overemphisized bass comes in. If you are looking for that live sound, these are definetly not the ones for you. 200 dollars wasted as far as I am concerened. Check back soon for my other arrivals.

Oct 17, 2008 at 12:16 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by farcry2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I figured I would buy 6 pairs and test them out for myself.
My Altrio M8 came in today.
They arent bad, the high end is clean and bright, the mid range is a little muddy and there is a little gap from where the midrange drops out and the overemphisized bass comes in. If you are looking for that live sound, these are definetly not the ones for you. 200 dollars wasted as far as I am concerened. Check back soon for my other arrivals.

You need to spend a bit of time reading the thread on the M5/8.
They need at least 50hrs of burn in, by which time they'll clean right up.

Oct 17, 2008 at 5:47 AM Post #11 of 12
klipsch image x10, superb isolation...The bass is very well defined but not muddy or cloudy...even though I heard the super fi's 5 are even better when it comes to isolation

EDIT:

I just got the M5 and the isolation compared to the X10 is very lacking, the X10 IMO sounds much better...Brighter, wider soundstage, better isolation, better separation. The M5 is not my kind of IEM.

Did I mention about the comfort? The X10 destroys the M5 hands down...but these are just my opinions.

Oct 17, 2008 at 8:03 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by farcry2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I figured I would buy 6 pairs and test them out for myself...
My Altrio M8 came in today...
200 dollars wasted as far as I am concerened.

Wait, you are buying from places with a return policy, right? (FWIW, I find a lot to disagree with in your assessment of the Atrios...IMO, they specialize in bringing "that live sound" to recorded music -- after proper burn-in. Hopefully one of the remaining 5 purchases will provide what you're looking for...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back