Need assistance in making a decision
Dec 9, 2010 at 6:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

jcomey

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to decide between the following:

Audio-Technica ATH-ANC7b ($120 on Amazon)
Bose QC15 ($300)
Klipsch Image One ($150 at Apple Store)

Here's what I'm looking for:

I'm looking for noise-canceling (I know Klipsch is noise-isolating) to help me at home.  I am obviously looking for quality (so you may be surprised to see the QC15s here).  My budget is, I guess, around $300.  I'm not looking at IEMs, really.  I have a pair of Shure 310s (that are falling apart right now)...and while I'd love to get a pair of 535s, I'd prefer a pair of on-ears at the present.

These will mainly be used to help me block out the world while I write.  I am looking for quality + comfort. I listen to a lot of live concerts, a lot of acoustic stuff and rock...but there's also some bass-driven stuff.  I'm posting this because it's been impossible to sift through the feedback on each without getting anything concise.

I guess these are my questions:

1) Is the sound leakage with the ANC7b's enough to dissuade me from purchasing the product?
2) Is the sound quality of the Bose really that bad?
3) Is there anything else I should be considering at the moment?

I have done a lot of research, but haven't really come to a conclusion.  Please, help me find it.

Thanks,
John

Dec 9, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #2 of 8
To follow up, the original ATH-ANC7s are on Amazon for $119.  I have read good things about those.  But I am concerned about sound leakage.

So, I guess my problem is...I think they may be for me, but I'm too hesitant to pull the trigger.

Does anyone have a better suggestion than the ones I'm looking at?  I really don't want to head down the Bose path, and don't plan on it.  But that subset of headphones (noise-canceling, closed) are what I'm looking at.  Sound leakage does bother me, because I do a fair amount of writing in bookstores or in a library, and don't want to bother anyone.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

-John

Dec 9, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #3 of 8
Ive heard many good things about the sennheiser hd25 II, which fits your needs.

Dec 10, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #5 of 8
1:  Get the ANC7b. not ANC7 if you are.  They get good reviews.  I dont own a pair of them so I cant say anything
2: You wont regret purchasing the QC15.  I have one, and its great.
3:  Try the Goldring NS1000.  Cheaper alternative to both.

Dec 11, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #7 of 8
I'm going to get the AT's, mainly for traveling and writing.  But I may get a pair of cleaner cans too...I saw the Shure 840s last night at Guitar Center and am intrigued.

Any thoughts on Monkey's suggestion?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back