Need another pair... MX300 vs E818LP
May 25, 2005 at 2:23 AM Post #16 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoNotBugMe
I've heard now that the MX400 are comparable to the Sony e888s? How true is this?

Not true at all, IMHO. My E888 are MUCH flatter (read better) sounding and have a LOT more extension (both bass and treble). Really, the E888 is in a class of it's own. The MX400 is just a poor cheapo middy earbud. The MX400 is all low-mids with no extension in the highs or lows.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle_Driver
I don't care much for the lower end of the Sony E8x8 line. Their housings ring (too many resonances), adding false treble response and making those earbuds sound tinny.

It's all a matter of taste. Do you prefer only mids with no extension or treble cup resonances? I choose the fake treble over the NO treble at all.

May 25, 2005 at 4:55 AM Post #17 of 27
Hmm... the kind of resonance he refers to (if i may assume) means that the treble is much louder in certain ranges of the frequence response than others. One such emphasis on the higher range leaves it sounding tinny while somehow its lower end makes it boomy; a combination to die for
rolleyes.gif

The bass on the 828's (which i had) was loud but carried no weight. It was very muddy...

I could go on, basically do not get these. Theyre cheap, so its not like its a big deal or anything, but theyre not satisfying so put the money toward one of the sennheisers

May 25, 2005 at 1:38 PM Post #18 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Philco
It's all a matter of taste. Do you prefer only mids with no extension or treble cup resonances? I choose the fake treble over the NO treble at all.

I find most treble cup resonances to be very fatiguing to my ears. (Especially when such resonances occur well within the range at which the human ear is most sensitive to.) The treble resonance in the low-end E8x8 buds occurs between 4kHz and 10kHz, the region in which any artificial boost is potentially fatiguing or even ear-piercing. (The high-end E8x8 buds don't suffer from any such treble cup resonances.)

Also, I find the MX400 and MX500 to sound pretty good in the upper ranges, but it needs a little more mid-bass response.

May 25, 2005 at 1:55 PM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle_Driver
Also, I find the MX400 and MX500 to sound pretty good in the upper ranges, but it needs a little more mid-bass response.

Do you use foamies with the MX series? I use big full size foamies (ala ratshack) so I can get a good fit. Without the foamies, they lack mid-bass and they sound good (well..they have some more extension) in the upper range, but with foamies on, I prefer the 818, no doubt ! The artificial treble of the 818 is not fatiguing to my ears, at least not with the foamies on.

May 25, 2005 at 2:27 PM Post #20 of 27
Quote:

I had a pair of Sony MDR-EX71SLs before one ear stopped working. There's no music coming out of the right earbud now, making them pretty useless.

I'm fed up, I've had about 2 pairs do this to me in the past 2-3 years. I feel there's no reason spending $50 on a good pair of headphones anymore..

Same happened to me, 2 sony 71's broke in about 2 years, one ear stopped working. I ended up getting ER-6i's, which I find excellent, perhaps too expensive for you?

May 26, 2005 at 2:56 AM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ttvetjanu
Same happened to me, 2 sony 71's broke in about 2 years, one ear stopped working. I ended up getting ER-6i's, which I find excellent, perhaps too expensive for you?

Definetely. I don't want to spend 2-300 only to have them break on me in a year... stupid Sony's.

Thing is, if I get a pair of $12 Sony 818s from the Sony store, they have a 1 yr warranty so I can get them replaced for free when they break.

Even the ER-6i's don't have a replacement program like that, I bet.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 26, 2005 at 3:12 AM Post #22 of 27
Don't sennheiser products have a two year warrenty?

Anyway. There's only one person who prefers the 818s. The rest says it's crap (including me). Now to each his own and if someone prefers something the majority doesn't like it's his right and I respect that.
But still, doesn't it make you think? Majority (MX300) vs. one person (818). Draw your own conclusion...

May 26, 2005 at 6:17 AM Post #23 of 27
Quote:

Thing is, if I get a pair of $12 Sony 818s from the Sony store, they have a 1 yr warranty so I can get them replaced for free when they break.

Not here in the US. All of Sony's headphones and earbuds priced up to $100 are warranteed for only 3 months.

May 26, 2005 at 7:38 AM Post #24 of 27
Quote:

Definetely. I don't want to spend 2-300 only to have them break on me in a year... stupid Sony's.

Even the ER-6i's don't have a replacement program like that, I bet.
smily_headphones1.gif

ER-6i's cost me $90.

May 26, 2005 at 10:33 PM Post #25 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ttvetjanu
ER-6i's cost me $90.

Interesting. There's only a 1 year warranty on that though, and stores in Canada don't carry it.

In Ear Headphones ( Ear Buds)

Apple iPod Headphones & Remote $49
Beyerdynamic DTX 10 w/ Vol. Control & Case $29
Beyerdynamic DTX 20 w/ Vol. Control $39
Beyerdynamic DTX 40 w/ Case $59
Koss P4 Portable w/ Carrying Case $12
Koss KSC 22 Sportclip Stereophones $27
MacAlly Retractable Earphones $39
Sennheiser MX 550 $29
SP Ear Bud-dy w/ Splitter $29
In Ear Headphones ( Ear Canal

Are the MX550 for $30 worth it? Do they also have 2 yr warranty?

What's good here - http://www.cpused.com/pricelists_www/ssi_ipod.shtml ?

May 27, 2005 at 4:03 AM Post #27 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by fappar
hey, so are the mx300s comperable in quality to the 400s, 500s, 550s, and anything else witha higher nmber?

Don't know about the 550 but there is a ever so slight improvement in the 500s over the 300s. 500s are a bit smoother.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back