Need an MP3 player using AAs or AAAs
Nov 15, 2006 at 4:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

mail4u

100+ Head-Fier
My wife is travelling to South Africa and wants to take a MP3 player but the country operates on 220v AC. My iPOD won't do because if you charge on a borrowed computer you'd lose your downloads as that computer won't have your music files.

So the only solutions would be replaceable AAs or AAAs. Am I right or is there another alternative?

Thanks for any help.

Nov 15, 2006 at 5:15 AM Post #2 of 12
just set the ipod to manual update and you won't lose the music. if the host computer doesn't have itunes, there won't be any issue at all. the plug it in and it will charge.

you could also buy an AC charger to use with the ipod. just make sure you get the correct type (the plug shape is what i'm unsure of, most adaptors will work with both 110 and 220v).

if you need AA or AAA theres the cowon G3. you can get a 2GB for $110 from newegg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16855603819

Nov 15, 2006 at 12:59 PM Post #5 of 12
Of course you could buy a cheap AA powered MD player....
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 15, 2006 at 10:35 PM Post #6 of 12
Sandisk has the M200 series flash players up to 4GB using a AAA battery. I don't know about the quality of the players overall, but while travelling, it's a lot easier to purchase a AAA battery than find a place to plug in an mp3 player and on top of that, deal with the time it actually takes to charge the player never mind the issues of other countries using different power and plug requirements.

http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Cata...3_Players.aspx

Nov 16, 2006 at 2:04 AM Post #7 of 12
For travel abroad or time spend camping, etc., I'd consider a Cowon iAudio G2 or G3 (they have excellent sound and operate off of AA batteries) or a 1GB Creative Zen Nano for $69 online (pretty good sound and AAA batteries). There are iRivers, too.

Having to rely on computers to charge might not be convenient ... a dedicated charger for an iPod might be a good solution if she wants to take the iPod (and if you're generous enough to let her take yours!).

Nov 16, 2006 at 2:36 AM Post #8 of 12
I think I'll go the iPOD route. All the music is in iTunes -- a combination of MP3s and Lossless. She's agreed to take my 1st gen 4 gig Nano and given me permission to get a 2nd gen 4 gig Nano to replace it.

Nov 16, 2006 at 5:04 AM Post #9 of 12
if buying another adapter wont fit your needs...

i heard the cowon iaudio g3 has really good battery life with a single AA battery.

Nov 17, 2006 at 1:35 AM Post #10 of 12
Give her your iPod, no problem. Simple and effective external AA-powered battery packs are available for Apple, Creative, and many other DAP brands. You can either run the device off of the external pack, or if you don't want to do that just use the external pack to charge the DAP's internal battery.

Nov 17, 2006 at 3:04 AM Post #11 of 12
I couldn't find one for the Nano though there are some for other iPODs. It's too new I guess. Charging it off a computer seems to be the best way. Inconvenient but it's inexpensive. Evidently the new Nanos are being advertised as capable of 25 hours playback. The first generation are rated 14 hours.

Nov 17, 2006 at 3:31 AM Post #12 of 12
Doesn't the ipod have a standard dock connector, in which case you can attach any of the standard AA recharge packs available?

When I was in W Africa, I had an inCase Charger which was handy because it auto-switched between 100 and 120 volt, the wall-wart plug tucked neatly into it when not in use (just had to carry around a little plug adapter). With this device (has car lighter part as well) I could also charge up from a car battery off in the middle of nowhere (i.e. where I lived) by plugging the car plug into a pretty widely available cord that clips to the terminals on a car battery and gives you 1 cigarette-lighter outlet.

--Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back