Need an idea for setting up a little headphone HT
Jan 22, 2012 at 11:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

imahawki

100+ Head-Fier
Here's what I want to do.  For some nights when my wife wants to watch whatever is HGTV or reality TV I don't care for, I want to be able to watch movies on my Apple TV in our bedroom with some nice headphones.  Don't care too much about fake surround or anything because its probably not good any way.  I started researching some wireless options but don't like the reviews I'm seeing.  So all I really want is to be able to listen to sound from my TV from 10-12' away.

So my TV has optical digital and analog stereo outputs.  Or I could use the optical output from the AppleTV directly and it should work.  That option might be good because then I could use it for music as well.  And somehow I need the amp by me so I can control the volume.

Does anyone have a setup like this and what did you ultimately do?  I don't want to have to get a whole receiver, I already have a DAC if I wanted to get creative. 

So maybe I just get a nice headphone amp and that's all I need and then I run a digital cable to the DAC, DAC to headphone amp, put the headphone amp on the side table by the chase I'll be sitting in and I can control the volume from there.

Thoughts?

Jan 23, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #3 of 8
I think you're on the right path.  To further simplify things, you may just want to get a combo headphone amp/dac.  There are plenty of options out there.

Jan 24, 2012 at 7:38 AM Post #6 of 8
Well, not a ton considering I do have a DAC and I could get something like a Schiit Asgard for $250.  I might go up from there if something offered a significantly better feature set.

Jan 24, 2012 at 7:53 AM Post #7 of 8
My bad.  I didn't realize you had a DAC already.  In that case, the Asgard would be fine and hard to top for that price. If you have an iphone, itouch or ipad, you can control your volume remotely with the Remote app. Otherwise you'll need either a long rca or optical cord. try monoprice for that.

Jan 24, 2012 at 7:58 AM Post #8 of 8
Thanks, I have a LiTe Audio Dac AH! (non-oversampling) DAC from my now dismantled hi-fi rig.  I think I will go ahead and just use it at this rate.  So I'll probably order an Asgard and hook everything up.  Ideally I'd have the headphone amp within reach as I mentioned so I can either put the DAC by the Apple TV or use a long toslink cable.  I'll have to decide on that.

Thanks for the feedback!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back