Need an explanation about how certain engineering concepts translate into sound (mainly amp stuff like MOSFET/JFET and Class A)
Aug 28, 2013 at 2:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Zadok

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all. I have tried googling many of the terms that amp and dac manufacturers use when describing their products, but I am having trouble finding explanations of them outside of technical diagrams or within the context of analog audio.

Let's use the specs for the Schiit Lyr that I have since that product has many of the terms I don't understand:

"Topology: Dynamically Adaptive Dual-Mode Class A, no overall feedback, noninverting, hybrid tube/MOSFET, single voltage gain stage, DC-coupled input and output"

1) They advertise that the amp will adjust itself from "Class-A single-ended to push-pull Class AB." I am assuming that these modes mean different throughput in different environments? I am not sure what the "class" term signifies.

2) I see many references to MOSFET and JFET on their website. I know it is some sort of transistor, but what does that mean in terms of my sound wave? What other types of transistors are there as an alternative to this type?

3) Why is it important for a gain stage to be single voltage?

and finally

4) I can't find a good explanation of DC coupling.

I have a pretty strong math and science background, but literally 0 education about circuit design, so this is all so foreign to me. Any help is appreciated.

Aug 30, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #2 of 4
Bump. I don't want to make another thread.

Aug 31, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #3 of 4
There are a couple challenges in responding to your request. This is the help and recommendations forum on a site geared towards audiophiles and enthusiasts, not circuit designers or electrical engineers. You might get a better response in the DIY forum. As someone with a strong background in math and science, I'm sure you can appreciate that some of the concepts you are asking about will require a discussion of the supporting ideas which is a tall order for an audio enthusiast to tackle in his spare time. Books could be written on the topic, and I'm sure several have been.

The second challenge is in deciphering Schiit's marketing copy and translating it to concrete technical terms. Frankly, I think this may warrant a letter to Schiit requesting clarification. I assume that providing consumers with that level of technical detail is meant to prompt that conversation and they would be happy to explain it to you if you ask.

A good way to get acquainted with the subject matter is to take on a DIY project such as a CMoy amp build. Check the following resources, and the Head-Fi DIY forum, for more information.

http://tangentsoft.net/audio/
http://headwize.com/?page_id=5

Aug 31, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #4 of 4
Those articles were very helpful. Maybe I will seek some help in the sound science forums also. I didn't think schiit would use so many self-indulgent marketing terms for their products, but that would make some sense as to why it was so difficult to understand them.

Thank you for taking the time to respond to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back