Need an amp..
Jul 7, 2009 at 8:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

s4one

100+ Head-Fier
As of now I am using grado's 80i's but I plan to get some 325i's, HD 595 or 600's and have Ultrasones on my mind in the future.

My setup is my laptop as my source, m-audio USB DAC and cheap Sony receiver. I am in the process of upgrading my stuff. I have a pro-ject flash DAC coming in but I need to decide on an amp...

I have my mindset on LD III's but everyone says they don't pair up that well with grados, however I see a lot of people using them with grados on here. I dont want to end up with several amps. Ones enough for now.

Should I just pull the trigger on the LD III's? Where is the best place to purchase LD amps??

Best,
s4one

Jul 7, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #2 of 5
You could sure try the LD III with the Grados, but OTL tube headphone amps are really more designed for higher impedance headphones. You might look around for a hybrid or a transformer coupled amp to go with your 80's. HD-600's will work quite nicely with the LD-III.

Ultrasones are also low impedance. Since you have two sets of low impedance cans, a hybrid or transformer coupled amp really seems like the way to go.

Jul 7, 2009 at 5:14 PM Post #4 of 5
Seems like the Audio-GD amps are a bit more than I want to spend but is it really worth the money? I wanted to get the LD because of its lower cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back