Need an amp -- Playstation 1 >> ? >> AKG k701
Nov 25, 2008 at 4:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

MikeJ138

New Head-Fier
Hi there. This site is extremely helpful. I appreciate everyone's time and input.

I am in the market for a headphone amp. Here are my specifications:

No tubes
up to $350 spent
sound preferences = dynamic, clean sound with much attack
music listening = classic rock, thrash, new wave, classic metal
must plug into the wall. no batteries.
I will be using the setup at my bedside for night time listening before sleep

My source would be a PS1 and my headphones I have are AKG k701.

Playstation 1 >> ?? >> AKG k701

Also, can you please provide a good website or source to purchase the required connecting cables? I dont own any right now. Any suggestions?

Thanks so much!!
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 25, 2008 at 11:15 PM Post #3 of 12
Interesting source choice. Is the PS1's CD player function solid? I know that it wasn't designed for pure audio use.

Nov 25, 2008 at 11:33 PM Post #5 of 12
It is very solid in my opinion. There are many threads here that discuss the PS1 and the true audiophile quality of it as a source. Some agree and some disagree. There has been much dispute. It is a cheap route for me since I own three of them and it will most likely get upgraded later but might as well get some fun out of it!
biggrin.gif

Nov 26, 2008 at 7:56 AM Post #8 of 12
I'm gonna dig up mine later today. Is the small PS1 just as good? Sorry to derail the thread with this.

On-topic: What i found best when looking for advice here was to PM someone who owns an amp you're looking at, preferably someone who also has the same headset you have of course. But everyone i've talked to has been very helpful.

Nov 26, 2008 at 5:18 PM Post #9 of 12
You have to have one of the first Playstations to come out. Not any will sound nice and wonderful. The serial number must either be SCPH-1001, SCPH-1002 or SCPH-1003. You most likely have a 1001 if you purchased one of the first playstations to come out in the US. Those are the ones that sound nice. Also, you must leave it powered on for about a week straight. Then you'll hear a very nice sounding machine. Kinda a neat little trick but it works. Trust me.

It has a very organic sound and sounds similar to a good vinyl player. doesnt sound very "digital" at all. experiment with it.

here are some websites that explain what to do:
PlayStation 1: The audiophile's dream? | Destructoid, The Gamer's Blog

original Playstation = audiophile CD player??? - Quarter To Three Forums

Digg - Playstation 1 is an audiophile's dream?

Let me know what you think of the sound after the week long "burn in"...

Nov 26, 2008 at 8:03 PM Post #10 of 12
Hi there,

While slightly out of your Price range, the Heed Canamp ($450 new, possibly within the outer limits of your price range used) has excellent synergy with the K701s. It will bring the mids forward a bit as well as providing a bit more bass that the K701s lack.

Nov 26, 2008 at 8:59 PM Post #11 of 12
ambrosecarr --

What does your DAC add to the sound? Is there a very noticeable difference if you were to run the rig you have in your signature with the DAC versus without? Can you describe to the best of your ability what it adds to the sound? Thanks!

Dec 1, 2008 at 10:07 PM Post #12 of 12
Sorry I took so long to respond!

I don't actually see much of a difference with or without the DAC in my system. I had postulated that this might be due to the low noise that my computer creates; It's a new business laptop designed to run on very low power consumption and runs next to silent.

For reference, I play FLAC through foobar on Vista. However, I would get a few more opinions before taking my word for granted as I'm not that experienced in the field of DACs.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back