Need an amp or sound card for the HD650
Jul 30, 2012 at 10:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

BulletProve

New Head-Fier
Hi

Guys I am looking for a good amp or a soundcard for the HD650
But I have a question first
The DAC is used for the CD drives right ?, so if I am listening to lossless audio as a digital copies from my computer I wont need it ?

ok lets start
My using will be movies games beside music
I want to pay around the $200

Thanks

Jul 30, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #2 of 11
A DAC is required for any application where you have digital files that need to be converted to an analog signal for headphone use. However, most computers have a DAC and amplifier built into their soundcard. They typically are not that great. You can plug another amplifier to your headphone-out, but the sound quality will not be as good as having an external DAC and amplifier.

I would probably just go for the Essence STX. It is a popular sound card that sounds good, and can be upgraded with better opamps as well.

Jul 30, 2012 at 10:26 PM Post #3 of 11
So you say I go with the asus xonar Essence STX, and in the future when I want to upgrade, do I only buy a DAC or a DAC with an amp ?

And sorry a question from a n00b, if I choosed to buy an amp now instead of the the Essence STX it will be the same right ?, I mean the amp is same as the sound card but its external right ?

Jul 30, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #4 of 11
I think a DAC with build in amp would be what you need. The source which is the computer in your case, is an important part in the setup. As tzjin said, computer internal DAC/amp is not that great. So the idea is to get a USB DAC with buildin headphone amp. 

Jul 31, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:
I think a DAC with build in amp would be what you need. The source which is the computer in your case, is an important part in the setup. As tzjin said, computer internal DAC/amp is not that great. So the idea is to get a USB DAC with buildin headphone amp. 

Its seems like a good idea !, pleas link me an amazon link to a DAC with an amp build in it

And please could some one answer my questions I need to make my mind up cuz I dont really understand all of these

Lets say I bought the xonar, when I want to upgrade, do I buy an amp and dac, or just a dac?
I mean the amp is a sound card but its external right ?

Jul 31, 2012 at 1:49 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

I meant the stock soundcard is usually pretty terrible. The Essence STX is quite nice.

So the Essence STX would handle DAC and amping dutes, but you can use it's line-out to bypass the amp if you ever want to upgrade the amplifier later.

Jul 31, 2012 at 2:52 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:
Its seems like a good idea !, pleas link me an amazon link to a DAC with an amp build in it
And please could some one answer my questions I need to make my mind up cuz I don't really understand all of these
Lets say I bought the Xonar, when I want to upgrade, do I buy an amp and DAC, or just a DAC?
I mean the amp is a sound card but its external right ?

The Asus Xonar Essence STX (PCI-E) comes with everything built into one device (sound card).
Good DAC, Good headphone amplifier, Dolby Headphone 7.1 surround sound for movies and gaming.
Headphone amplifier rated up to 600-Ohms.

Jul 31, 2012 at 10:27 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:
So will the Xonar be enough to feed the hd650 and to get all its power ?

The Essence is rated up to 600-Ohm for headphones and the HD650 is only 300-Ohm.
Currently using my Essence STX to drive my DT770 Pro 250-Ohm headphones and I'm not even on the highest power setting.
For $60, you can upgrade the op-amps (operational amplifiers) on the Essence

One option is to get the Asus Xonar DX or D1 sound card (used $50) and spend the rest of your cash on an external tube headphone amplifier.
But I find it so much easier with the essence and everything built into one device.

Jul 31, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:
The Essence is rated up to 600-Ohm for headphones and the HD650 is only 300-Ohm.
Currently using my Essence STX to drive my DT770 Pro 250-Ohm headphones and I'm not even on the highest power setting.

One option is to get the Asus Xonar DX or D1 sound card (used $50) and spend the rest of your cash on an external tube headphone amplifier.
But I find it so much easier with the essence and everything built into one device.

Impedance isn't the only factor in driving a headphone, but PurpleAngel is right, It should drive your HD650. It's a picky headphone, so like he suggested, you may want to experiment with different opamps.

Jul 31, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:
So will the xonar be enough to feed the hd650 and to get all its power ?

Quote:

I own the Asus ST (the version that uses PCI instead of PCI-E, but otherwise the same). I HIGHLY recommend this card for people starting out. It has a good quality DAC and Amp built into it. They certainly aren't equivalent to 'high end' audio stuff, but I think it's one of the best 'bang for the buck' set-ups right now.

As you upgrade, later on, you can add an external amp and use it as a line out, or use the digital out if you want an external DAC, as the digital out is quite good as well!

This card will have plenty of power for your HD650

Users who are viewing this thread

Back