Need an Amp and DAC combo for HD650 for under $1k...
Jul 24, 2009 at 12:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Rise To The Top

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm currently in the market for an amp and DAC combo to go with a pair of HD650s that I have. The combo needs to be relatively small (will be sharing desk space with an HP 18t laptop and a Samsung P2370 monitor as well as an Xbox), needs to accept USB as a souce and optical. I prefer one case for the whole thing (to avoid the need for interconnections), but I'll consider two separate cases. Right now I am looking into a HeadRoom Desktop amp with the DAC. As for music, I listen to really everything.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Jul 24, 2009 at 12:56 AM Post #4 of 24
I can't go over $1k. Not an option. I would shoot for the Desktop right now, but its at the very very end of my price range.

Jul 24, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #5 of 24
well you can always go for the budget conscious audio-gd compass but i guess if you wanted to use your budget to it's limit, i would suggest a stello and a good amp like a gilmore lite, M3, or maybe audiogd C2C

Jul 24, 2009 at 1:20 AM Post #7 of 24
How would the compass stand up to the HR desktop?

Jul 24, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #8 of 24
I'm not sure anybody has ever really compared the two but I am willing to bet that the HR desktop is a little better than the compass. If you read the comparison of the compass vs stello+c2c it held it's ground when the stello combo was about 3 times the price. It wasn't as good obviously, but was very respectable.
That being said, I have the HD650/compass combo and it does drive it pretty well. However I can't say that I've tried my headphones with better amps until i receive my B22 so you should take it with a grain of salt.

Jul 24, 2009 at 8:35 AM Post #10 of 24
i've searched a lot the market and came to some conclusions
-best dac under 1000$ - cambridge audio's dacmagic - it has lots of inputs, it's relatively cheap, costing twice less than havana and stello or da11/10 and it has a lot of great reviews
smily_headphones1.gif

-best ss amp under 1000$ not taking into account the tube ones because they are hard to maintain, require expensive tubes and so on ...
so i've reached to one conclusion - graham slee's solo - a very good amp, can easily compare to bigger one's from 1000$+ category
wink.gif

-now, i woudn't go to a lavry mainly because it's 1000+ and it also has a discreete amp
-and one more thing, better go with separate components rather than all in a box way
wink.gif

it's easier to upgrade later
wink.gif

Jul 24, 2009 at 9:04 AM Post #11 of 24
Used Peachtree Nova.

You get an ESS Sabre DAC and an 800mw Class A headamp/preamp to boot. Plus hey, also 80 watts of speaker amplification.

Hard to do better under $1k.

Jul 24, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #12 of 24
I don't want to go used :/

Jul 24, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rise To The Top /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't want to go used :/

Well, then you can downgrade to the Decco. Still a great unit, just replace the Sabre DAC with a Scott Nixon. You may be able to beat the Decco for $900+, however, so up to you.

Jul 25, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #14 of 24
Any other recs?

Jul 25, 2009 at 8:41 PM Post #15 of 24
If you're willing to go balanced on your headphones I think the easiest would be to find a dac with xlr outs you can change the volume on. I have my 650's hooked up to the balanced outs on my Buffalo DAC and think it sounds spectacular. I'm sure a benchmark dac or lavry would sound excellent if you can find one in your price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back