Need an advice! Best headphones for trance.
Nov 21, 2011 at 1:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

NiceIce

New Head-Fier
I am planning to buy a Christmas gift for my friend - headphones. So i cannot ask him anything :)
He is listening to trance, vocal house etc (Dinka, Anjunabeats, Fade, etc. Headphones will be used mostly at home, plugged to pc,ipad, ipod or iphone. ) The price range - <400usd.

Thanks in advance :)

Nov 21, 2011 at 1:32 PM Post #4 of 9
Heya,

Panasonic HTF600 (warm, bassy, lush, excellent for trance/EDM/House, velour pads can be added to it to increase comfort, no amp needed).
Beyer DT770 32ohm (warm, bassy, bright treble, comfortable velour pads, excellent for trance/EDM/House, no amp needed).
Ultrasone PRO 750 (cold, bassy, bright treble, comfortable, big sound stage, velour pads, excellent for trance/EDM/House, no amp needed).
Ultrasone PRO 900 (see 750, but increase the bass, and dampen down the mids & treble)
Denon D2000 (cold, flat, excellent sub bass, big and comfortable, great for trance/EDM/House, no amp needed).

Some on-ear options:

Audio Technica ESW9 (warm, bassy, lush, lambskin, woodback, excellent for trance/EDM/House, no amp needed).
Vmoda M80 (warm, bassy, impactful, super construction, very durable, excellent for trance/EDM/House, no amp needed).

Very best

Nov 21, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #5 of 9
D2000 is a safe bet, it should fit your prefers. I love them totally and there's >100 trance music songs on my playlist. 

Nov 26, 2011 at 6:27 AM Post #6 of 9
Hi!

Thanks very much for the answers :)
I think it would be better to get with bigger sound stage and better  warm thank cold sound.
I was looking for 770 32ohm, but cannot find site, which ships to Europe :frowning2: Why do You advice 32 ohm, not for example 80 or 250?

Nov 26, 2011 at 8:35 AM Post #7 of 9
I personally like Grados for trance. They are great for rock and rock is similar to trance simply because the wave form of a distorted guitar is very similar to a lot of the synth and saw wave samples found in trance. 

Nov 26, 2011 at 8:47 AM Post #8 of 9
With quality production, akg k702 still do the job for me better than ultrasone pro 550. Ultrasone pro 550 had distance to the sound which I did not dig at all.

Nov 26, 2011 at 9:06 AM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
Hi!

Thanks very much for the answers :)
I think it would be better to get with bigger sound stage and better  warm thank cold sound.
I was looking for 770 32ohm, but cannot find site, which ships to Europe :frowning2: Why do You advice 32 ohm, not for example 80 or 250?

More ohms means that the 'phones are harder to drive - you'd really need a decent headphone amplifier for the 80 and 250 ohm versions.

I have the ESW9s and think they are great for that kind of music, but if portability isn't a requirement, you could certainly spend your money better :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back