Need Amplifier for my HD-600's...
Sep 6, 2003 at 6:42 AM Post #3 of 16
I was in a similar boat as you when I got my HD-600's. I ended up going with a used Meta42 for $220. For the quality, you really can't beat the price.

However, judging from your thread in the Headphone forum, it looks like you have a really nice home reciever, and I don't know if a Meta42 would be a marked improvement or not. You may want to save up your money and get one of headroom's (www.headphone.com) high-end offerings. The HD-600's are very responsive to changes in amplification, and from what I understand, sound magical with the Headroom Max and Maxed out Home amps.

That said, for now, I think your best option may be your stero reciever.

Sep 6, 2003 at 7:15 AM Post #5 of 16
the ASL MGHead is one of the best headphone amp for HD600. The Meta is a good choice too. Also if you want to save a bit of money, you can try the vintage gear from Marantz, McIntosh...etc. These are all very good.

Sep 6, 2003 at 7:50 AM Post #6 of 16
600smile.gif
+
tube-amp.gif
=
thumbup1.gif

Sep 6, 2003 at 8:02 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by N@Z
600smile.gif
+
tube-amp.gif
=
thumbup1.gif

Awesome, I'm getting a quote from a canadian dealer. I'm actually trying to get him to lower the price a bit. Even though the price is pretty fair
evil_smiley.gif

I can't beleive I will have only paid $640 Canadian ($466 USD) or less depending on what that dealer quotes me for this setup...

Sep 6, 2003 at 4:26 PM Post #8 of 16
I have heard the MG Head with HD600s through a decent source, and it was a rich, smooth sound but there was too much bass of a boomy uncontrolled character.

May I suggest the Headroom Little amp (its about $249) in addition to the MG Head; it's worthy of consideration.

The choice is really yours, though. I prefer headroom amps, they have a very lively balanced sound which controls the bass better than anything else I've heard to date, and provides an excellent crossfeed filter.

Cheers,
Geek

Sep 6, 2003 at 4:45 PM Post #9 of 16
I had the MG head OTL and the HD600's and the match was excellent. A little tube rolling can modify the sound to your unique needs.

The level of performance for the price is unbeatable.

Keep on Rock'n

Mitch

Sep 6, 2003 at 4:51 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by Geek
I have heard the MG Head with HD600s through a decent source, and it was a rich, smooth sound but there was too much bass of a boomy uncontrolled character.

May I suggest the Headroom Little amp (its about $249) in addition to the MG Head; it's worthy of consideration.

The choice is really yours, though. I prefer headroom amps, they have a very lively balanced sound which controls the bass better than anything else I've heard to date, and provides an excellent crossfeed filter.

Cheers,
Geek

Wow, not my experience with the combo when I had it.

What tubes were in the Head you listened to?
confused.gif

Sep 9, 2003 at 11:48 PM Post #13 of 16
I have the MG-Head MKII, but like others, it took awhile before I got a 'good' one.. The first 3 I had were defective.

Sep 10, 2003 at 6:53 PM Post #14 of 16
I own an mg head OTL mk II as well and it works perfect. Perfect construction, zero problems. Hey geek i think you may have been listening to OTL try transformer next time if you can. To my ears OTL has over powering bass which muddles up the entire sound using the stock tubes.

If your gonnna buy an mg head i recommend you dont buy it online, there are alot of horror stories, its ridiculous that you have to exchange an amp 3 times before it works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back