Need amp to do what it's supposed to do: Amplify.
Jan 22, 2012 at 11:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

tseliottt

100+ Head-Fier
I don't need coloration, synergy, or any amps that cost more than my headphones. I just need an amp that will power whatever I throw at it, and allow the headphones to sound how they were meant to sound. Not asking for much.

Right now I'm running some D2000s and Q40s unamped, but I'm looking to audition some HD650s and DT990/600s. I need an amp that would be able to power both before I actually order them first. Would the O2 be good enough? Do they meet both these headphones potential in terms of power? Or will one of them still be yearning for more juice? I just want to be able to turn up the volume and not hear any distortion, jitter, or deficiency throughout the frequency range, if that makes any sense. My price range is below $300.

Jan 22, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #2 of 8
I think with the O2 reference amp you can't go wrong. It does exactly what you ask for. You can either DIY or pay a bit more to get the assembled unit (which I did as I'm lazy like that). It also destroys many much more expensive amps for a fraction of the cost. Its great with sensitive IEMs as well due to its low noise floor and impedance.

http://www.jdslabs.com/item.php?fetchitem=O2Full

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Triad-Magnetics/WAU16-1000/?qs=%252btY05tBNkjjbu8QrdPsM8w%3D%3D

Jan 23, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #3 of 8
Hey thanks for the reply. If I went with the O2, should I mess with the stock gain at all to prevent clipping? I'm just running it straight from an mp3 player (maybe a DAC in the future) so I doubt it would be a problem, but I just want to make sure.

Any other amps you guys can suggest in the sub-$300 range?

Jan 23, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #4 of 8
The stock gain settings are fine even with full size sources, so your portable will be fine with it.  If you're after a neutral, transparent amp in this price range, there are few if any options better than the O2.

Jan 24, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #6 of 8
The m-stage has a slightly warmer, bassier sound signature.  Both amp are powerful enough to drive almost any dynamic(and some planars) headphone with ease.

Jan 24, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #7 of 8

Quote:
How would you guys compare it with the M-Stage?

You were asking for a great amp that doesn't add anything to the sound but presents to you what is in the recording true to life. You won't find a better value than the O2 reference amp. A well known headfier finds his O2 reference amp to compete with his $2,000+ amp and is not far from it at all. So take it with a grain of salt if you will.

Jan 24, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #8 of 8

Quote:
How would you guys compare it with the M-Stage?

Also remember the M-stage is not a portable amp...

The O2 runs fine on AC power, and when you want to, you can take it with you as it also has two batteries in it...   

as to the gain...  If you build it or if you get a custom builder to build it then you can ask for header pins to be put in place where the gain resistors are..  then if you don't like the gain with a set of phones you can put in different gain resistors to get the gain correct for your phones...
It has a low/high gain switch so you can set it up for easier and harder to drive phones at the same time...  there is no soldering involved with this option.

If you want you can also get a custom front panel to match your other equipment (silver or black)... 

I build mine all black, including the input/output jacks, the volume knob, the outer case and the front panel.  And the case is supplied with rubber endcaps to help with portable use
(keeps the ipod/iphone from getting scratched)

I use the O2 as a pre-amp for my Woo Tube Amp and it looks and plays very well with it...    
I'm now trying to figure out how to mount lit VU meters on an O2...   :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back