Need Amp Suggestion for DT880 + Undecided Sound Card
Jan 24, 2005 at 5:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Moos3d

New Head-Fier
I'll try not to write as much junk as usual. In the future I will be purchasing DT880's, a sound card and an amp, all for what I hope to be a few hundred less than $1000. I have the phones decided but I need you guys to help suggest me a good amp and sound card to compliment the headphones. I want the amp to be under $300. On the computer as source forum I was suggested the e-mu 0404 but it seems to have a lot of connectors I don't need/want so I still need card suggestions.

Jan 24, 2005 at 6:45 AM Post #2 of 6
Well, I'm planning to buy the DT880 myself, and from my research (from searching the forums here), the amp that seems the most recommended is the Corda HA-1 MkII-- but that's definitely over your budget, at $450. The other amp I considered the most was the Gilmore Lite, at $300, but that had some significant detractors.

Of course, I haven't listened to any of these yet, so do apply several grains of salt. All I'm claiming is that I've been convinced to spend money on the HA-1 MkII for the DT880's.

Jan 24, 2005 at 5:10 PM Post #4 of 6
Mind explaining to me what a tube amp and full-bodied midband is? :p I'm also not very interested in buying anything used since I want all the components to be brand new. I also would really like if the amp has an internal power supply since I want the least amount of equipment, converters, cables, boxes, etc.

Jan 24, 2005 at 6:04 PM Post #5 of 6
If there's any way you can spend the extra money, I highly recommend the HA-1 MkII. It sounds excellent with the DT880 and crossfeed alone is easily worth the extra $150 over your stated maximum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back