Need amp for K501
Jul 25, 2004 at 9:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Natsuiro

500+ Head-Fier
Hi, I'm new to this world of Head-fi, and I was wondering what kind of amp I would need to drive the K501s. I don't really have a planned budget yet, but cheaper would be better. Probably I would want something that costs around $100, and maybe $200 at most. Is that enough money to buy an amp that can sufficiently drive the K501s? And which amps do you think could do the job (portable and/or home use)?

Jul 27, 2004 at 12:21 AM Post #2 of 7
I plug my AKG K501 to a Headsave PIMETA amplifier, which can be found second-hand for less than $150. What I like best about the PIMETA/K501 combination is its neutrality: at work I listen for hours to (mainly classical) music without any fatigue. Not much in the way of deep bass, but if you got the K501 you probably don't care.

Jul 27, 2004 at 12:31 AM Post #3 of 7
Under $200, you don't really have that many choices. Pimeta is an excellent choice.

I would get a Pimeta that can run on both batteries and AC. Mine is being built by MisterX. It takes 2 9v batteries, and it can accept AC power as well. Upgraded the standard Panasonic potentiometer to the much better Blue velvet potentiometer. Panasonic pots are inexpensive, but they track poorly at low volumes, and people say they develop noise later on. Definitely upgrade to a better pot.

Jul 27, 2004 at 10:44 AM Post #4 of 7
another worthy (and cheaper) alternative would be the headsave classic - www.headsave.com

cool.gif

Jul 27, 2004 at 10:53 AM Post #5 of 7
hmm I was looking at the classic. What does the dual AD843KN op-amps do if I buy them? If i buy them they will need the 24v power supply? Does that mean I will get double the output to each channel? Also didn't it used to be 627 or something before? Is this AD843KN not as good? I think the 627 or whatever cost 40 or so dollars to upgrade whereas this one costs only $25.

Also if I get this AD843KN it wouldn't be a good idea to run the amp off the optional battery pack right? It would drain the batteries too fast?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back