Need amp for DT880 250
Jan 8, 2015 at 2:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Djent

New Head-Fier
Hey guys! I've recently bought the dt880 for use in my studio and they are great, but i have my M-Audio Mobilepre MkII at max and it isn't loud enough. I was wondering if the O2 amp would be an good option. Also im not sure i need a dac as im not sure how to hook it up with the sound card. If the dac just goes direct in usb on the pc, will i hear the same as from my soundcard when using Cubase?

Thanks!

Jan 8, 2015 at 3:44 AM Post #3 of 4
Have checked the HiFiMan EF-2A out. Looks much better than the O2 
biggrin.gif
, but how does it compare? I've heard tube amps tend to colour the sound, and that might not be optimal with studio use.
Also if i ever upgrade to K701 or Sennheiser 650, can the HiFiMan EF-2A run those?

Jan 8, 2015 at 3:56 AM Post #4 of 4
  Have checked the HiFiMan EF-2A out. Looks much better than the O2 
biggrin.gif
, but how does it compare? I've heard tube amps tend to colour the sound, and that might not be optimal with studio use.
Also if i ever upgrade to K701 or Sennheiser 650, can the HiFiMan EF-2A run those?

Almost anything with tubes is going color the sound somewhat--usually giving it a more analog sound or like listening is a smoky jazz club.  In this particular case the DT 880 is a bit bright.  The EF-2A tones that down just a bit.  Beyond that it's a very synergistic combination.

Going to a K701 and/or the HD 650 represents lateral moves and not upgrades.  Maybe less than a lateral move in the case of the K 701 (the Q701 is better and the new K 7XX better yet).  Nevertheless the EF-2A can power both/all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back