Need amp for comp. setup - low budget
Jun 4, 2006 at 5:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Eisenhower

500+ Head-Fier
I have an emu 0404 soundcard that I need an amp for to run my hd595's (50 ohm) or ksc-75's with. Right now Im using the headphone amp in my 2.1 multimedia speakers, which sounds terrible. Anyways, I do not need this to be portable, although with my intended budget, I think protables amps are about the only ones that fit. I was looking at spending under $200, and the total airhead looked like a good choice. I also saw the Original Master amp, but I dont know much about them or where to buy them.

I was wondering if it would be worth it in the long run to spend a few extra hundred on something like headphones micro amp or the headfive, or if the airhead would perform well enough.

Jun 4, 2006 at 5:57 PM Post #2 of 11
Why not just get a PINT (ie, have someone build it for you..) if you put up a WTB - Build PINT, im sure you can get one for around $100, maybe less. the sound is quite good..

Jun 4, 2006 at 6:10 PM Post #3 of 11
I think it would be worth is to go $50 over your budget and pre-order the Corda HeadFive. It is susposed to ship late june/early july. It is an insane deal, it is an enhanced version of the HA-1 MKII, which cost $450.

Jun 5, 2006 at 1:22 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003
I think it would be worth is to go $50 over your budget and pre-order the Corda HeadFive. It is susposed to ship late june/early july. It is an insane deal, it is an enhanced version of the HA-1 MKII, which cost $450.

How do you think it compares with the microamp?

Jun 5, 2006 at 1:57 PM Post #5 of 11
If you're going to be listening to music out of your computer, and the sound right now is not very good, maybe you should get an amp with a DAC (digital to analog converter). If the sound out of your computer is bad, amping that sound is just going to make it worse. But if you got something like the Total Bithead (which is $200, right at your price range) you could plug it directly into your computer via the USB port and completely bypass your sound card. If you were going to buy a total airhead anyways, it's just another $50, I'd definitely do it.

Jun 7, 2006 at 1:03 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
If you can go to $300 get an used Musical Fidelity X-Can V3.

thats really pushing it

would the cute beyond pair well with the hd595's or the dt880s (if I get them later) ? Im weary of the headfive because no ones really heard them yet, and the original master looks so-so.

Jun 7, 2006 at 1:06 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eisenhower
thats really pushing it

would the cute beyond pair well with the hd595's or the dt880s (if I get them later) ? Im weary of the headfive because no ones really heard them yet, and the original master looks so-so.

Buy my Little Dot III I currently have for sale
tongue.gif
But in all seriousness, it's muc better than a Little Dot II which is in the league of the aforementioned amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back