Need Amp/DAC recommendations for Audeze EL-8
Apr 14, 2015 at 12:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

kizmiaz

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

I recently purchased the Audeze EL-8 (Open Back) and am in need of a desktop Amp and DAC (or combo) to power it. 
I currently listen to them through an Apogee Quartet's headphone output or my iMac's headphone out (which is surprisingly decent).

Whereas the quartet's output has more resolution, the iMac's output has a stronger lower end that i actually prefer listening to. Im looking for something that would make them sound full, with stronger lows. Something with some form of bass EQ could be exactly what I'm looking for.

I would appreciate any recommendations (preferably under $400) that i could look into. 

P.S. I have also preordered the closed back version that I plan on testing, before keeping one of them. Although I feel the closed version may compensate with stronger lows, I really like the soundstage of the open back version.

I have been looking into the JD Labs O2 + ODAC Combo. Any idea if that would be a good match?
How about the Schiit Audio Vali + Modi 2?

Apr 14, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #4 of 28
Sadly, the Hugo, Violelectric and the Pan Am are over my budget.
I am considering the schiit stack and replacing the Magni with the Vali. 

Any other suggestions or advice on my current picks?

Apr 20, 2015 at 1:09 AM Post #9 of 28
No, but I would be very interested to hear what you come up with as these headphones are on my shortlist and I'll be looking to purchase over the next few months. Personally I would be buying the best quality amplification you can find on a value for your money basis. So I'd be checking out the for sale listings to get something good second hand.

Apr 23, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #11 of 28

Using the EL-8 with a Marantz HD-DAC1 and really enjoying the sound...

Jun 6, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #12 of 28
I just bought a pair of EL-8s and would love more inexpensive amp recommendations. Thanks!

Jun 6, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #13 of 28
I have the EL-8 closed on now, listening with an Aune T1 mk2 Amp/DAC with a Phillips E188CC tube and it's sensational. It's my personal favorite combo.

The EL-8 also sounds great going through Magni 2 Uber, Asgard, and iFi iCan Micro.

It's very easy to drive and sounds great on anything.

Sometimes I do combos like Aune T1/Asgard or T1/iCan because the iCan has a bass boost switch, most of the time I get plenty of bass just using theT1. That wasn't always the case because the EL-8 arrived with absolutely no bass and took well over 200 hours of burn in before the bass showed up. Now it's super sweet though

Jun 6, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #14 of 28
Thanks! Any suggestion for tube amps, or would they not suite the EL-8? I have the open model, btw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back