Need amp/dac for 2.0 and headphones.
Oct 12, 2013 at 5:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

TierAngst

Head-Fier
Wanting to change around my setup since my 30 year old NAD receiver is dying on me. Wondering if there is anything besides the Topping TP30 out there in the way of simple, compact, all in one and if not, is the TP30 capable of pushing my A60's and eventually (should be the same power requirements) a pair of Bic DV62si?

Oct 12, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #2 of 19
The TP30 has the TA2024C chip amp, which is one of (if not the) least powerful t-amp chips. According to Parts Express it is rated " 2 x 15 watts @ 4 Ohm (or 2 x 10 watts @ 8 Ohm)." So that means somewhere around there in between in max output (but not more) since your A60s apparently (based on what I can find) have a 5 ohm nominal impedance rating. Typically, those ratings are at 10% distortion for t-amps. Meanwhile, your NAD is rated at 60 watt at .03% THD, with dynamic headroom of +6db.

So the TP30 will be no where near as capable of driving your speakers as the 7100, if that's the information you are looking for. The TP30 is best suited for listening at a computer desk or for moderately loud volumes (which is relative to listener expectations of volume) in a small room. You would be better off looking for a used AVR on your local Craigslist if you want a lot of volume.

As for speaker power requirements, that's not important. They are not requirements, but rather general guides for the maximum amount of power that speakers can handle. What's important is whether or not speakers can reach the volume you need with the amplifier you have without exceeding those maximum power specs. Sensitivity is very important here: http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/how-to-explain-speaker-sensitivity.htm

Oct 12, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #3 of 19
This is just at my desk in a smallish room so it never has to get extremely loud. I have a Denon AVR-2113CI for the HT Setup. I'd like to have something with twice the power of the TP30 but I can't find anything that does the same thing in a similar size package. I could go as much as $300 but even at that price I've only seen the Aune unit which is rated at the same amount of power. I see a ton of nice 2 channel amps but none with both dac and headphone out. I'd consider one without a dac if it has dual output and could find a 2-channel to headphone adapter, which I've only seen the build it yourself type diagrams/info, or more simply just has a nice headphone amp built in. Even though consolidating into a single unit would be great, having a built in dac is far less important since I could just keep the ODAC I've got. Something like a Dayton Audio DTA-100a would work fine but I want to avoid that since it has some really spotty reviews with channel imbalance and other annoyances.

Oct 12, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #4 of 19
I have no doubt that the ODAC is a better DAC than what is in the TP30. I would try to build around that.

Why not get an Indeed TA2021 or Topping TP21 just to run the speakers (will give you a bit more power), then a separate headphone amp? What headphone amp you are you using right now?

Which Aune are you talking about? The only Aune's I know of are headphone amps. :)

Oct 12, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #5 of 19
The Aune is the X1 + X2 combo. The NAD 7100 has an excellent headphone out, which is currently the only thing that never gives me any trouble so that's what I've been using. I'd rather have 1 less than 1 more, which is why I was thinking of an all in one unit. I guess it doesn't really matter since they'd all take up less space than the NAD. 

Oct 12, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #7 of 19
I was checking that out in comparison to the Schiit Magni but didn't see anything that really pointed one better than the other. Any thoughts on it? It looks a bit nicer.

Oct 12, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #8 of 19
The Magni is quite likely a better amp than the FiiO. But no line out for speakers. Gotta graduate to the Schiit Asgard 2 for that :)

Oct 12, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #9 of 19
I noticed that. I've seen a few 2 channel amps that have RCA outs though. Just stumbled across this: Audioengine N22. 22W RMS into 8 ohms plus built in headphone amp. Pretty much what I'm looking for, would like to see what else is out there that is similar. 

Oct 12, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #10 of 19
I have no doubt that the ODAC is a better DAC than what is in the TP30. I would try to build around that.

Why not get an Indeed TA2021 or Topping TP21 just to run the speakers (will give you a bit more power), then a separate headphone amp? What headphone amp you are you using right now?

Which Aune are you talking about? The only Aune's I know of are headphone amps.
smily_headphones1.gif

I have and O2 as well as my friends. One whom includes an ODAC and an O2 and he says it's the most splended blend of technology and sound he's heard. (Within a given price obv.)

Oct 12, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #11 of 19
This samson servo 120a looks impressive as well but haven't seen much info on these in terms of SQ and reliability. 8 Ohm, <0.05% THD+N: 50 W 

Oct 13, 2013 at 12:00 AM Post #12 of 19
This samson servo 120a looks impressive as well but haven't seen much info on these in terms of SQ and reliability. [COLOR=333333]8 Ohm, <0.05% THD+N: 50 W [/COLOR]

I'd go for the Emotiva mini-X a-100 before an unknown pro amp. The Emotiva is a nicely designed amp. Or if you would like an inexpensive stereo receiver, check out the Yamaha R-S201BL on Amazon.

Oct 13, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #13 of 19
I was checking out those emotivas but they're just too long for my shelf (15" depth). The Yamaha is probably the smallest depth receiver I've seen so it'd actually fit, it's 12 5/8" vs 13 1/2 of my NAD (barely fits on the shelf). It's also the cheapest option with the most power of the lot so I might just go with the Yamaha. Doesn't look like anyone is even shipping them yet though so I won't be able to report on it for another few weeks. Thanks!

Oct 13, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #14 of 19
samson servo 120a

As a point of information.

The Samson is far from being  "an unkown pro amp". They have been a small studio standard for decades. Renowned for their reliability, accuracy and quiet operation.  You cannot really go wrong if it fits your needs in other areas.

They are not as common as they were because nowadays almost everyone has moved on to active monitors. but if you are planning to stick with passives they are a very good, highly proven  and inexpensive choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back