Need amp advice for HD595
Aug 7, 2005 at 6:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

incognitoedleon

500+ Head-Fier
So far, I've narrowed my choiced down to the go-vibe, pocket amp and portaphile v2. Would the portaphile v2 significantly improve the 595's over the go-vibe or pocket amp, or would the quality jump be negligable. I read searched some threads already and there's some who say the 595's don't need a particularly good amp. If the portaphile isn't really necessary, would the go-vibe or the pocketamp be a better choice? Any advice would be appreciated. I'm on a semi-tight budget, and there's no way I'm going over $200 - so don't tempt me
600smile.gif
!

Aug 8, 2005 at 3:15 AM Post #2 of 9
The HD595s are not a power hungry can. It just depends on budget and taste. They scale fairly well with better equipment, so the more you spend the better sound you'll get generally. It's where diminishing returns kicks in for you. BTW, what is your source? Getting an amp that is better than your source is overkill.

Aug 8, 2005 at 3:50 PM Post #3 of 9
I'm just using a Philips Aurilium right now, but I'm going to pickup an emu0404 pretty soon (probably within a month). Thanks for the info. Anybody else want to contribute their thoughts or experiences?
biggrin.gif

Aug 8, 2005 at 8:27 PM Post #4 of 9
Someone around here could kill me for saying this, but I have to do it.

Don't bother with an amp for the 595. The improvement will be very small (if any, it could be even worse if it is not a good amp).

Mi advice to you is to go for a very nice source. Maybe in the future you will want a better headphones, and then you will buy an amp with good sinergy with these new headphones.

Or you just will stay with that good source and the 595 (pretty unlikely if you stay around here
evil_smiley.gif
)

Cheers

Aug 8, 2005 at 8:57 PM Post #5 of 9
I'm using a Gilmore Lite with my 595's and sr60's, they sound pretty awesome. I'd highly recommend the Gilmore lite, I've also heard the ray samuels sr-71 is a good choice as well.

Aug 8, 2005 at 9:16 PM Post #6 of 9
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to add the emu0404 in the next couple weeks, that's a pretty good source right? I've already been thinking about going for the Gilmore Lite. Guess the 200 dollar self-imposed limit didn't last long lol. I might have to hold off on them for a month or two so my wallet can stop bleeding. Anybody here want to share their thoughts with the PortaphileV2 + 595 combo before I pull the trigger?

Aug 8, 2005 at 10:23 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by incognitoedleon
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to add the emu0404 in the next couple weeks, that's a pretty good source right? I've already been thinking about going for the Gilmore Lite. Guess the 200 dollar self-imposed limit didn't last long lol. I might have to hold off on them for a month or two so my wallet can stop bleeding. Anybody here want to share their thoughts with the PortaphileV2 + 595 combo before I pull the trigger?

I am running an 0404 -> Gilmore Lite -> 595. I also own the Pocket Amp V2. The Gilmore was a real improvment over the PA2. It brought and incredible smoothness to the sound that didn't exist with the PA2, though the GL has a reputation as being forward and bright, it didn't make any mids or highs shrill in the slightest.

I think its a great combo.

Aug 8, 2005 at 10:56 PM Post #8 of 9
I've had very good experience with the Portaphile 2. I used mine with Grados and with a Senn HD-585 as well as the 600. The Senns require a little more of a turn of the volume knob but never run out of juice. I think the Portaphile is a very good value for the money.

Aug 9, 2005 at 6:43 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by ddelu
I've had very good experience with the Portaphile 2. I used mine with Grados and with a Senn HD-585 as well as the 600. The Senns require a little more of a turn of the volume knob but never run out of juice. I think the Portaphile is a very good value for the money.

I'll add another positive experience (though from a newbie) for the Portaphile V2 with Senn HD580s & Grado SR80s. I haven't heard the 595s, but I can tell you that Cesar uses the HD600s as a reference can in building his portaphile amps, so they are well matched to the HD580/600/650 series. (I use the amp mainly at home with the Chaintech AV710 or Sony PCDP as a source.) Good luck!

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread

Back