Need advises for Amp/Dac under 1000$
Mar 24, 2019 at 8:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Ezekiel33

Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I’m actually using the Phillips Fidelio X1 hp for my main desktop listenning sessions paired with a music hall 25.3 which I totally hate. I want to upgrade to a seperate dac and amp to enhance the experience. For now the x1 is my every day hp and I still like them deeply. Had the chance to auditionned the focals elegia and might want to buy new hp eventually.

So that’s it, I’m looking for a good new amp and dac to renew my appreciation of music and would need recommandations for good values that could fit my immediate need but that will also be in great synergy with my futur, still unknowned next set of hp. Any reference or must have under 1000$ for the two? Ill be streaming music directly from my pc with tidal highres.

Best regards!

Mar 24, 2019 at 8:42 AM Post #2 of 7
If you're patient, then the Massdrop-THX AAA 789 is a no-brainer desktop amp to get. Keep an eye on Massdrop and buy immedeatly as soon is a drop is announced

Mar 24, 2019 at 8:43 AM Post #3 of 7
I would look into the RME ADI2 DAC. I just got one myself and am very happy with it. The EQ feature is pretty great, and it can handle any format your PC can throw at it including DSD. For the price it is an excellent DAC. The built-in headphone amp will easily drive the X1s.

Mar 24, 2019 at 8:57 AM Post #4 of 7
Thanks for the recommandations guys! Looks pretty solid and promising. Elmoe, how is the amp section with other hp in general?is it musical and entertaining? I don’t mind having some coloration in the sound if it makes it more enjoyable. Having fun with it?

Mar 24, 2019 at 9:03 AM Post #5 of 7
Thanks for the recommandations guys! Looks pretty solid and promising. Elmoe, how is the amp section with other hp in general?is it musical and entertaining? I don’t mind having some coloration in the sound if it makes it more enjoyable. Having fun with it?

The amp is neutral, but the digital EQ allows you to color the sound flawlessly. I have a Singlepower MPX3 tube amp that I use as my primary amp and pairs up quite well, but the RME's amp was able to drive all the headphones I've thrown at it so far: Grado SR325i, PS1000, Sennheiser HD6XX, AKG k7XX, Focal Elear

Mar 24, 2019 at 11:43 AM Post #6 of 7
Very nice critics, might consider buying the unit, wanted a good dac to pair my stereo setup also so it really fits my need. The only negative thing about the unit is that it doest do MQA with Tidal, is it something you personaly tried and if so is it a "must" for the general experience?

Regards,

Mar 24, 2019 at 12:16 PM Post #7 of 7
I don't use Tidal personally but if you head over to the Dedicated Source forum, there's a thread on the RME ADI2 in there and lots of people that can tell you more than I can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back