Need advise on what headphones to try next... Life after Senns HD650?
Mar 28, 2017 at 9:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ld100

500+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I am mostly using Sennheiser's HD650 & Shure SRH1540 which I really like both. But I am getting that itch on what to get in addition that would be different and worth getting. Does not have to be expensive, but different enough in a good way for me to appreciate it. Any suggestions? Would greatly appreciate any advise... Thanks 

Mar 29, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #3 of 10
  Hi,

I am mostly using Sennheiser's HD650 & Shure SRH1540 which I really like both. But I am getting that itch on what to get in addition that would be different and worth getting. Does not have to be expensive, but different enough in a good way for me to appreciate it. Any suggestions? Would greatly appreciate any advise... Thanks 

What kind of music are you into?
Amp?
Budget?

Mar 29, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #4 of 10
Many more expensive headphones are, in my opinion, downgrades from the HD 650 even though they have better technical performance in some areas. I'd recommend electrostats such as used STAX or the Koss ESP950. Those are a clear step up.

Mar 29, 2017 at 1:56 PM Post #5 of 10
Completely agree with the electrostatic, you should get a good price for a used 323S or 006t driver unit and 404 or 507 headphones (if you prefer to buy new the sweet spot for cost/benefit would probably be the 5100 combo, new lambda series). That will be different enough and you may never want to go back to dynamic headphones.

Apr 30, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #8 of 10
Not sure if you have flexibility in your budget or not, but if you do, you might look into a MrSpeakers AEON. It would be sufficiently different from the HD650 that it could do the job for you. Maybe read about it and see what you think.

Apr 30, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #9 of 10
Well quoting is still not working on mobile. If you want something different as stated before ESP-950's would fit the Jazz and Vocals not super deep bass for Electronic but still really good. They come with everything ,cables ,amp ( more precise energizer) , carry case and a battery box to power them away from a cord. Haven't tried the battery pack yet but it is a option. Price fluctuates on these so it is hard to give a price for certain but go from $580 to $650 most of the time on Amazon. There is a big plus they have a lifetime warranty. Just my opinion.

May 1, 2017 at 12:37 AM Post #10 of 10
I am mostly using Sennheiser's HD650 & Shure SRH1540 which I really like both. But I am getting that itch on what to get in addition that would be different and worth getting. Does not have to be expensive, but different enough in a good way for me to appreciate it. Any suggestions? Would greatly appreciate any advise...

Grado RS1e

Users who are viewing this thread

Back